What's the most complicated weapon you've ever field stripped?

I hate mossberg 500s. What a pain in the ass. Remington 870s are a lot easier, though they're a pain until you figure it out. Ruger pistols, especially brand new ones, suck. Lots of headaches there. Luger pistols aren't exactly a walk in the park - I had a little Erma .22 copy, and the take down was certainly unique - but not a whole lot of fun.

I've seen an MG-42 and an M-60 field stripped, and it sure didn't look like a lot of fun. Stripping an SVT-40 isn't much fun - then, neither is an SKS.

The easiest? Mosin-Nagant :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ruger mark iii, what a pain in the a**

Mk19. I hate them with a passion.

My wife. Definitely a weapon used for psychological warfare! Everything else pales in comparison.

Posted Images

I used to take occasional airsmithing jobs for my friend's paintball shop. Some of the cheap or very old stuff was fiddly and badly designed. (But fun. It's kind of like getting to work on a model T or a Stutz Bearcat.) Nothing compares to the poor design and quality of "high end" airsoft toys though. Let me tell you the difference in build quality in a ~$350 PB gun and a ~$400 airsoft toy is dramatic. Airsoft were made like wind up toys and tend to eat themselves rapidly if "upgraded." A bit of research can find parts that are more durable, especially if you are willing to hold back to performance limits within the materials strengths.

when i was younger i used to build franken guns from various paintball guns. built an elctronic autocoker for my cousin. also had rainmaker that looked like something from predator. those where the good old days.

GI shit is made for monkeys. Anybody who likes weapons can figure that stuff out. The biggest pain in the ass is the ruger mark. 22 pistol series. They are simple but, if you dont know the secret hand shake, you're screwed.

The most complex rifle I have at the moment is an RFB.Like most things, it becomes second nature over time.

• Like 1

If 18 year old boys and girls can learn how to field-strip and M-16, it can't be to hard. :)

Albiet, simplicity is "King".

Yeah I agree. I honestly think the AR platform is just as easy to strip and reassemble as an AK besides needing a small object to take the BCG apart its just two simple pins you pop out with your fingers.

I used to take occasional airsmithing jobs for my friend's paintball shop. Some of the cheap or very old stuff was fiddly and badly designed. (But fun. It's kind of like getting to work on a model T or a Stutz Bearcat.) Nothing compares to the poor design and quality of "high end" airsoft toys though. Let me tell you the difference in build quality in a ~$350 PB gun and a ~$400 airsoft toy is dramatic. Airsoft were made like wind up toys and tend to eat themselves rapidly if "upgraded." A bit of research can find parts that are more durable, especially if you are willing to hold back to performance limits within the materials strengths.

I do airsoft repairs for friends and its complicated fiddly stuff.

Upgrades are something most people, even 'techs' screw up. Most parts have to be fit to the gun, carefully.

A gearbox rebuild takes me about an hour, but it will only preform to rated speed of the spring. If I take three hours and fit every single part, I can get an extra 3 rounds a second and 15-30 fps above rated speed. My current main gun is around 40K+ rounds and is still going strong, at roughly 380fps and 20+ rounds a second.

This is roughly how far you go into a r36c (g36c without trademarks) just to grease the gears or change the velocity.

post-2952-0-72088400-1373207382_thumb.jpg

I did this stuff before getting into firearms, so I've never had much trouble. I can take apart almost anything and reassemble with little trouble.

One thing that is important to figure out is what gives you sufficient access for cleaning and just stop there. Like double barreled shotguns are not really made to be taken apart, and there is no real need, short of total submersion in salt water.

• Like 1

I honestly think the AR platform is just as easy to strip and reassemble as an AK besides needing a small object to take the BCG apart its just two simple pins you pop out with your fingers.

Use the firing pin. Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1

I honestly think the AR platform is just as easy to strip and reassemble as an AK besides needing a small object to take the BCG apart its just two simple pins you pop out with your fingers.

Use the firing pin.

I was actually talking about needing something small to remove the pin that holds the firing pin in place. Maybe a pointy bullet would work, pen or pencil, rock, pretty much anything but point is AR's are damn near as easy as AK's.

Upgrades are something most people, even 'techs' screw up. Most parts have to be fit to the gun, carefully.

A gearbox rebuild takes me about an hour, but it will only preform to rated speed of the spring. If I take three hours and fit every single part, I can get an extra 3 rounds a second and 15-30 fps above rated speed. My current main gun is around 40K+ rounds and is still going strong, at roughly 380fps and 20+ rounds a second.

This is roughly how far you go into a r36c (g36c without trademarks) just to grease the gears or change the velocity.

attachicon.gifCIMG1182.JPG

I did this stuff before getting into firearms, so I've never had much trouble. I can take apart almost anything and reassemble with little trouble.

One thing that is important to figure out is what gives you sufficient access for cleaning and just stop there. Like double barreled shotguns are not really made to be taken apart, and there is no real need, short of total submersion in salt water.

That about fits with my experience. I only worked to increase to a stable and reliable ROF and velocity. I did a g36C type for a guy once and have been in love with the ergos ever since.

Mk19. I hate them with a passion.

The Mk19 my unit had was junk.

Of the weapons I got to fuck with in the service, the M2 was by far the most frustrating for me. But I still hate the fucking Mini-14 from a takedown standpoint.

Count me in as a MK19 hater. Not for teardown and reassembly, my experiences with them have often lead to failures.

On the flip side, I love the M2

Most complicated?

IMG_3698.jpg

thing breaks down like this...

post-13865-0-49651200-1328335091.jpg

theres way more going on with that thing than you would realize. Stormi was cursing it before he was done painting it for the complicated assembly.

Full build here... http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/74487-good-things-for-those-who-wait/

Very few military and military pattern rifles are in any way difficult, this is all relative. However...

AK vs AR field strip for all you guys that think the AR is as easy as the AK.

3:30 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRrc2n0NXg

Funny vid. I'd much rather field strip an AK personally. The barrel flexing on the AK in slow mo was a trip.

M777A2 Howitzer. MK19 was a bitch too.

attachicon.gifCIMG1182.JPG

Haha I was in airsoft for a while. Still own a couple, but don't play with em much anymore. I always found it funny how much more complicated airsoft guns are than the actual firearm they are imitating.

Ruger Mark I .22 pistol. Worst design ever. The later marks are a pain in the ass, but at least you can eventually get them back together. The Mark I, you can know all of its secrets, and still fail. Only gun that ever stumped me.

Ruger Mark I .22 pistol. Worst design ever. The later marks are a pain in the ass, but at least you can eventually get them back together. The Mark I, you can know all of its secrets, and still fail. Only gun that ever stumped me.

One more reason to go with the Browning.

Hard to go wrong with a Buckmark.

My findings with complicated things, is that someone else has put a how to video on youtube.

Youtube is a godsend for gun work.

Use the firing pin.

I was actually talking about needing something small to remove the pin that holds the firing pin in place. Maybe a pointy bullet would work, pen or pencil, rock, pretty much anything but point is AR's are damn near as easy as AK's.

The weapon was designed to be field stripped without tools. I never had to use a tool to fieldstrip a M16/M4 during my twenty years in the Military. Very easy to remove the firing pin retaining pin with your fingers imo. Otherwise use a live round to get it started.

Very few military and military pattern rifles are in any way difficult, this is all relative. However...

AK vs AR field strip for all you guys that think the AR is as easy as the AK.

3:30 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRrc2n0NXg

Anyone who has served in the service will tell you. Field stripping an AR is so fucking easy a drunk chimp with down syndrome can do it. Two pins and you separate upper from lower. Pull charging handle to rear out come bolt carrier. Remove cam pin and bolt retainer pin and bolt slides out. Now thats fucking easy. If your doing the hand guards just pull down on handguard retainer and bam. Ak- is a teenie tiny bit more simple but really. Neither require rocket science. Both are so damn easy to take down that its not even funny. you really can not argue over a few more pins..