Well, my 18 year decided to go and get her cheeks pierced where her dimples are. I'm told it's called a smiley. Her mother and I are not impressed, but we try to be understanding. We realize that she is an adult and is entitled to make her own decisions, no matter how we feel about them or how retarded they look. My only hope was she'd see her error and take them out.

One cheek was swollen pretty badly, and bruised. I told her then that the guy that did the piercing likely nicked a vein.

Turns out I was wrong. He nicked an artery and it ruptured tonight while she was at work. So we get a text from her telling us she needs to get medical attention.

Since I'm an EMT my wife wanted me to make the call on going to the ER or not. In 5 minutes the girl spit out a pint of blood that keeps gushing into her mouth. I said yep get her the ER.

The wife is with her there right now waiting on the plastic surgeon.

I'm worried about her, but man am I pissed!

We are supposed to be leaving Sunday for what may be the last family vacation, and now that may be a no go.

I'm thinking she'll have to cover the copay, and all of the non refundable deposits we may have to deal with. So, do you guys think I'm being to harsh since all of this could have been avoided?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After my post I went into the hospital for moral support. Plastic surgeon told her the same thing I had already told her. The piercing needs to be removed it's an aterial bleed and the rid needs to be

Her choice, her fuck up. Make sure she is ok, then go on vacay. Then look into getting legal redress concerning the idiot who did the piercing job.   We ALL have to learn from our fuckups, and the s

I'd leave her adult ass at home to deal with her problems, and go on vacation.

Life's a bitch sometimes. Everything happens for a reason.

If someone did a hack job on my daughter, they would make it right or pay in teeth. Do they know they dicked up? Piercing is a serious thing you need to be surgical with. I've never heard of a professional shop hitting an artery when doing a dimple. They have insurance for accidents so make sure she is compensated for shit work.

Sorry bro. Put that axe back in the case!

What Chile said plus the medical expenses comes from her wallet. She wants to be a responsible adult and make her own decisions she needs to own up to the consequences of those decisions when they go wrong. Sucks but don't take learning that lesson away from her. She needs it to grow.

• Like 2

Her choice, her fuck up. Make sure she is ok, then go on vacay. Then look into getting legal redress concerning the idiot who did the piercing job.

We ALL have to learn from our fuckups, and the sooner we start the easier it becomes to for us recognize the signs leading up to them....

• Like 4

What Chile said plus the medical expenses comes from her wallet. She wants to be a responsible adult and make her own decisions she needs to own up to the consequences of those decisions when they go wrong. Sucks but don't take learning that lesson away from her. She needs it to grow.

Her choice, her fuck up. Make sure she is ok, then go on vacay. Then look into getting legal redress concerning the idiot who did the piercing job.

We ALL have to learn from our fuckups, and the sooner we start the easier it becomes to for us recognize the signs leading up to them....

These fine gentlemen put it a bit more eloquently than I did... All of the above 100%.

Go on vacation.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think going on vacation anyway will send the message that while she is free to make these decisions on her own, she may also have to deal with the consequences on her own when things go awry. Not that the injury is her fault, but she did open herself up to it. If this were a life and death situation it would be different, but it doesn't sound like it is.

As a Tattoo artist in a shop that does piercings also..... Buyer beware! We made sure to hire a piercer with a lot of training and a legitimate apprenticeship under his belt. Not every shop cares so much...The State only monitors health and safety standards, not quality of workmanship. It's a crap shoot really. She is hopefully OK without any further problems.

Personally, I will trust a tattoo, as I can monitor the cleanliness, but I won't ever get piercings, or God Forbid ....fucking Branding!!

She made the "Adult decision" to sign off on the procedure, and now she will learn from it. As much as I think the piercer probably fucked up and wish we could regulate quality better, as it stands now.........You take your chances.

I must say, even with the best piercer, everyone's anatomy is a bit different. Do you trust a non medically trained person to poke your body with needles???

I know we have a well trained piercer in a very clean shop....but I stay away from that shit......much more "invasive" than a tattoo.

edit: I have had experience working on an ambulance crew, in that small area of medical training, and that makes me very wary of the folks that they let do these very invasive procedures. Especially the Fad of branding...I am sure you are aware that burns are probably the #1 type of wound subject to infection.....and some dumb ass with a blue Mohawk is carving in in people....

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 1

Go on vacation and have her watch the pets.

My 19 year old daughter (I'm that old?) is learning allot of "life lessons" this summer before she goes back to WSU for her second year. She volunteered as a Junior Counselor at two separate summer camps this year and just finished the second one today. She needed an hour to debrief (ie "vent") when she got home. :)

Edited by Sim_Player

As a Tattoo artist in a shop that does piercings also..... Buyer beware! We made sure to hire a piercer with a lot of training and a legitimate apprenticeship under his belt. Not every shop cares so much...The State only monitors health and safety standards, not quality of workmanship. It's a crap shoot really. She is hopefully OK without any further problems.

Personally, I will trust a tattoo, as I can monitor the cleanliness, but I won't ever get piercings, or God Forbid ....fucking Branding!!

She made the "Adult decision" to sign off on the procedure, and now she will learn from it. As much as I think the piercer probably fucked up and wish we could regulate quality better, as it stands now.........You take your chances.

I must say, even with the best piercer, everyone's anatomy is a bit different. Do you trust a non medically trained person to poke your body with needles???

I know we have a well trained piercer in a very clean shop....but I stay away from that shit......much more "invasive" than a tattoo.

edit: I have had experience working on an ambulance crew, in that small area of medical training, and that makes me very wary of the folks that they let do these very invasive procedures. Especially the Fad of branding...I am sure you are aware that burns are probably the #1 type of wound subject to infection.....and some dumb ass with a blue Mohawk is carving in in people....

I agree. Piercers should have to have MEDICAL TRAINING, as it is a SURGICAL procedure.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

Man, I tell ya, I remember the first time I had no lifeline, and had to figure out where those dollars were coming from.

That my cigs, beer, skydiving and fast food were coming to a screeching halt for a long while.

And that the next month's meals now consisted of Water/Kool-aid, Kraft Mac-n-Cheese, Top Ramen and peanut butter sammiches, and entertainment was going to be reading a book at home.

Reality Slap!

• Like 2

Turning 18 does not magically make one an "adult" overnight... but she definitely needs to learn from experience. Help her but make her pay for it. And then make her make the piercing place pay for her damages. (2 lessons for a price of one )

At least she did not get a tattoo on her face... you can take out piercings at least. Hah

On a second note... asking for advice on Saiga forums is probably a bad idea... majority are despots here.haha.gif

Edited by HappYBallZ

This is you and your wife's child no mater how old or stupid they become. Love is an action , to give and not to get.

If she is okay and can be left alone then go, other wise family over rules vacation every time.

This is why parents are parents and i am sure your wife is debating staying home above going right now.

She has already learned a lesson and may have screwed up he face for ever. Kids will always cost you money forever ( you know that).

I hope she does not get an infection, we have prayed for her this morning, we have also prayed for you.

Forgiveness is hard sometimes when they do not deserve it but thats why we call it forgiveness.

It sounds like you love your family big time and I know you will do the right thing

Edited by jerry52
  • Like 1

This is you and your wife's child no mater how old or stupid they become. Love is an action , to give and not to get.

If she is okay and can be left alone then go, other wise family over rules vacation every time.

This is why parents are parents and i am sure your wife is debating staying home above going right now.

She has already learned a lesson and may have screwed up he face for ever. Kids will always cost you money forever ( you know that).

Best post.

I hope your child is OK. Piercing the skin,no matter where, will damage blood supply and nerve fibers. I have never understood this practice except in different cultures. Tattoo's while confined to the epidermis, are still not without risk. I find it all detracts from natural beauty from but to each his own.

I hope she is ok. Its hardest when they are family. Our kids make mistakes, but when they are hurting, it only makes it worse. My daughter lives with an emotional time bomb. I have had to rescue her once, but we have an understanding. The next time, if there is one, My first call will be the police who better beat me there. I live and die for my family period.

In my training I learned that one of the keys to understanding human behavior is knowing that just because the Government says that person is an adult, young adults sometimes do not act that way (duh)

The interesting fact is that the human nervous system does not mature until the age of 23-25 with women maturing a little earlier.

This gives much insight to why young adults make childish impulsive choices which can lead to physical or legal complications.

In other words they many times need to be handled like a big child and not an adult.

Young adults today need tons of guidance with good mentors (mature adult friends that they look up to). Parents fall into this area but in a very limited way. Young adults that have few if any mentors tend to be lead buy their friends leading many times to bad judgment moments .

We all can make a difference by befriending a young adult. They need to see the success of good solid values in an older adult.

The road to adulthood is paved with a lot of judgmental errors. Some of them I should have never walked away from when I was young.

Go on vacation and have her watch the pets.

My 19 year old daughter (I'm that old?) is learning allot of "life lessons" this summer before she goes back to WSU for her second year. She volunteered as a Junior Counselor at two separate summer camps this year and just finished the second one today. She needed an hour to debrief (ie "vent") when she got home. smile.png

I think this is what I would do.. You can't really punish her since she's an adult, so the best thing to do is just tell her she needs to sit out the vacation. She obviously won't be traveling after having her face patched up, but she doesn't need you to stay home and nurse her. No need for everyone else to suffer because of her mistake.

• Like 1

i have 2 children already grown and down the road with their own lives and doing really well....fingers crossed :). like my girlfriend has said many times....."raising children is a life sentence"....couldn't be a more accurate statement!! good luck with your daughter, hope all works out ok.

After my post I went into the hospital for moral support. Plastic surgeon told her the same thing I had already told her. The piercing needs to be removed it's an aterial bleed and the rid needs to be removed. Then apply direct pressure in both sides of the cheek. If you're lucky after applying direct pressure for 30 minutes it will stop, and if it doesn't you looking at surgery. I thought she was gonna shit herself when he repeated what I had told her already. I know she hates it when I'm right and she's wrong.

So she agrees to remove it. Problem now is the plasma had gotten into the threads of the rod and steel ball bearing the plastic surgeon can't get it off. While he's trying I excuse myself to go out to my car. (i went out to get two sets of needle nose pliers). I come back into the room and he's still trying to get the thing off.

So I look at him and say "Doc, I'm an EMT would you mind if I give it try?". He says "sure". I'm familiar with some of the staff in the ER so I know where they keep some of the supplies. I walk over to the wall locker and open it garb the iodine sponge pack and scrub up my pliers. I turn around with one set in each hand and go to work. I grabbed the stem next to her cheek as gently as I could, knowing she was in pain. Grabbed the ball with the other pair and unscrewed it. The doc was speechless. LOL. I looked right at him and smiled.

The real fun was when we pushed the rod through. The artery spurt about three feet of blood as soon it pushed through. Pretty impressive.

At that point the Doc put the gauze in place and instructed her to hold them, apply pressure.

Well, the good news is the bleeding stopped with direct pressure, and no surgery needed. The swelling is nearly gone now, and she's her sassy usual self. Doc says there should be no scar, and she's was cleared to go back packing with us on vacation.

She's still gonna have to cough up the copay when the bill arrives. I have done my best not to ride her over it. Hopefully she has learned a vaulable lesson about adult choices.

Thanks for the input fellas. Much appreciated.

• Like 6

Best post.

I have to honestly say that is worst post on this thread, and I will add a stupid one at that, especially with this bit of horse dropping, "Kids will always cost you money forever ( you know that)" a kid stops being a kid when it turns 18. if you have a "kid" that is in her or his 20s or 30s and you're bailing them out, well you're the stupid for bailing them out.

if you don't nip this in the bud when she's 18, she'll be coming back to mom and dad expecting them to bail her out for her stupidity, finically difficulties , and putting your wants on the back burner or not going through with it, then all you'll become to her is the "commerce bank of mom and dad", and unlike a real bank she won't be paying you back.

I have seen with my own 2 baby browns where a friend of mine has been bailing out his daughters, and it isn't pretty

my advice is the same as what some others have stated. go on vacation, let her deal with the money aspects. otherwise she'll end up like the "obama types"- she will be expecting you to bail her out every single time. this is the best time to nip in the bud before it becomes much larger.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

After my post I went into the hospital for moral support. Plastic surgeon told her the same thing I had already told her. The piercing needs to be removed it's an aterial bleed and the rid needs to be removed. Then apply direct pressure in both sides of the cheek. If you're lucky after applying direct pressure for 30 minutes it will stop, and if it doesn't you looking at surgery. I thought she was gonna shit herself when he repeated what I had told her already. I know she hates it when I'm right and she's wrong.

So she agrees to remove it. Problem now is the plasma had gotten into the threads of the rod and steel ball bearing the plastic surgeon can't get it off. While he's trying I excuse myself to go out to my car. (i went out to get two sets of needle nose pliers). I come back into the room and he's still trying to get the thing off.

So I look at him and say "Doc, I'm an EMT would you mind if I give it try?". He says "sure". I'm familiar with some of the staff in the ER so I know where they keep some of the supplies. I walk over to the wall locker and open it garb the iodine sponge pack and scrub up my pliers. I turn around with one set in each hand and go to work. I grabbed the stem next to her cheek as gently as I could, knowing she was in pain. Grabbed the ball with the other pair and unscrewed it. The doc was speechless. LOL. I looked right at him and smiled.

The real fun was when we pushed the rod through. The artery spurt about three feet of blood as soon it pushed through. Pretty impressive.

At that point the Doc put the gauze in place and instructed her to hold them, apply pressure.

Well, the good news is the bleeding stopped with direct pressure, and no surgery needed. The swelling is nearly gone now, and she's her sassy usual self. Doc says there should be no scar, and she's was cleared to go back packing with us on vacation.

She's still gonna have to cough up the copay when the bill arrives. I have done my best not to ride her over it. Hopefully she has learned a vaulable lesson about adult choices.

Thanks for the input fellas. Much appreciated.

To be fair, it may have been a silly choice - but a serious medical complication was not likely, and probably never occurred to her.

I'm glad she's alright. It's reasonable to expect her to pay initially, maybe. It's also reasonable to expect the place that fucked up her piercing to be held liable.