Nothing like finding a nest with the lawnmower. Industrious little bastards were not there last week. Seems like every year around this time they move in to spots in my yard. Last year I had 3 nests. I usually just wait till dark and stick a coke bottle in the hole upside down then wait a couple days. That takes care of them..What do ya'll do to get rid of 'em?

I just annihilated a basketball sized wasp nest that was (still is) located tucked in under an eave on a entrance porch. I found these little spray foggers (raid deep something...) about the size of a hand grenade. I waited till midnight then snuck out, snapped on a flashlight, tossed the grenade in and turned off the light and ran. Came out the next morning and the whole thing was deader than a doornail (dumb phrase -- doesn't make sense, oh well.) I figure in the dark the wasps didn't know where to go so they all got gassed. Worked slicker than snot! Now that is a phrase that does make sense...

If they get in my workshop(small 8x8 until I can enlarge it), I just pop the cap on the gas can and close the place up. Couple of days in the sun, and they split posthaste. Air it out for a couple of hours, and no more pesto. Next time, I'll try diesel fuel or kerosene.

Wife has been making her own traps from 2 liter bottles and the cheap soda. Google "Coke Bottle Mosquito Trap" and simply modify it to hang by a string or wire.

The little bastards got me a couple of years ago from a hidden bunker they built in the roots of a tree.

They waited until I had passed and mounted an assault on my ankles.

Six to the left and five to the right.

I left the mower where it was, went inside and took some Benadryl.

(I'm not allergic, but I'd never been zapped by that many at one time before.)

Later I went out and used gasoline on the nest.

I got into a big nest in the woods on a dirt bike back in High School 25 or 30 stings. I HATE those little bastards! They bite and sting over and over since they don't have barbed stingers. You probably don't want to do this on your lawn, but my classic yellowjacket cure is a night-time visit with a road flare. You strike up the flare and burn as many of them as you like while they try to swarm out the single exit. When that gets old, just stuff the flare in the hole and the sulphur smoke kills the entire nest.

The little bastards got me a couple of years ago from a hidden bunker they built in the roots of a tree.

They waited until I had passed and mounted an assault on my ankles.

Six to the left and five to the right.

I left the mower where it was, went inside and took some Benadryl.

(I'm not allergic, but I'd never been zapped by that many at one time before.)

Later I went out and used gasoline on the nest.

Sombiches did the same thing to me when I was a kid riding my mini-bike in the field. The bastards went as far up my pant legs as they could get, both legs. I gotta give it to em, they're smart.

The last run in I had with the little fuckers was 9/11 believe it or not. I was out refurbishing a mobile handgun trailer. I had just gotten done spraying the inside when they ambushed me. I ran back to our maintenance shop and there on the TV was the second plane hitting a tower. Not a good day all around. The only thing i hate more the Moooslims and yellow jackets are fire ants. I hate those little mother fuckers.

I got into a small nest of the giant European hornets last month at a job for work. I ended up not installing the doors for the customer since they freaked out about it. lol. Mean little bastards.

I got into a small nest of the giant European hornets last month at a job for work. I ended up not installing the doors for the customer since they freaked out about it. lol. Mean little bastards.

We have a bunch of those type living in a sand pile where I work, I am truly afraid of them. Someone at work said that their venom is strong enough to kill a cow horror.gif

• Like 1

We have a bunch of those type living in a sand pile where I work, I am truly afraid of them. Someone at work said that their venom is strong enough to kill a cow horror.gif

Lol.

While they are scary, they are generally more calm that the little red fuckers. I swat them all the time and they just fly off. But try not to confuse these with the Japanese hornets. They dont live here yet, but they are the ones that are fairly dangerous.

Got stung (first time ever, at age 36) in a porta-potty. Fuckers made a nest inside the top of the urinal!!! Got me three times quickly, on the tip of my manhood, before I could even flench!

Glad I'm not allergic!!!!

Yesterday, I got stung on the arm while washing the car. I bought a venom extractor years ago and used it to suck a full drop out. Stopped hurting right away.

Edited by Sim_Player

Got stung (first time ever, at age 36) in a porta-potty. Fuckers made a nest inside the top of the urinal!!! Got me three times quickly, on the tip of my manhood, before I could even flench!

DId it swell........on second thought don't answer that haha.gif

Edited by AA re-cvrd
  • Like 3

Not as glorious or fun as fire and chemicals but a county ag extension agent shared an excellent remedy with me for big underground nests of any kind. Wait til after dark when most of em are back inside and throw a cup of sevin dust over, around, & down in the hole. They get the fine powder all in their hairy bodies and carry it deep inside the nest, killing the queen and everybody. Doesn't take long in dry weather.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I got stung on the arm while washing the car. I bought a venom extractor years ago and used it to suck a full drop out. Stopped hurting right away.

I would truly excuse you from screaming like a little girl for that.

We had them bad when I was growing up in California. I just waited until dark and jammed a bottle of Lindane in the hole. Unfortunately, you can't get the good shit anymore.

"By November 2006, the use of Lindane had been banned in 52 countries and restricted in 33 others. In 2009, an international ban on the use of Lindane was implemented under the Stockholm Cenvention on Persistant Organic Pollutants" (Wikipedia)

Tony

• Like 1

DId it swell........on second thought don't answer that haha.gif

Don't even remind the wife of the time I got blasted by 277V. Mr Happy will take a week vacation. Ask me how I know. eyes_droped.gif

Haha that sucks man, but you should be alright if not allergic... I got stung by couple of paper wasps (I think no time to look haha) when I stuck my hand in pocket type door handle of a plastic shed ...apparently they built a nest there.

European Hornets are actually pretty docile and getting endangered compared to Yellow Jackets; but all of them do a lot of beneficial damaging-insect hunting (YJ do occasionally raid bee nest though).

I have not see many in-ground here.

So overall they keep your lawn and fruit/vegetable plants free of pests. I love no cost to me insect control lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristics_of_common_wasps_and_bees

Edited by HappYBallZ

The little bastards are especially aggressive and busy this year. They built a nest under the seat of my rider overnight! :bad_egg:

Its seems like every year from now till the middle of Sept they invade my yard and they are very agressive. I think they realize cold weather is coming and they aren't long for this world. I will have to start wearing long pants on the mower again.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't really want go nuclear on them b/c it will leave a spot in my yard. I will remember the 7 dust trick the next time I can't locate the hole. The coke bottle trick works if you can find the hole. I got em last night. The LZ was still hot and they were actually on the ground around the hole. I laid down a good layer of cover fire, spray from a can. It settled things down enough to allow me to move in and deploy the bottle. Looking like Thursday for bottle extraction and finishing the mowing.

Edited by sccritterkiller

the yellowjackets in the late summer and fall turn from plant eating to HUNTING... they attack flies and such, sting em, paralyze em, and take them back to the nest for food... dont have any DARK spots on you... they might think its a fly and zoom in and try to ZAP it... 015.gif YOWTCH!

I got swarmed a couple times in the past few years... once they had a nest right next to my side door behind the vinyl siding... I thought it was deerflies swarming my head while I was messing with the lock... I learned pretty quick it wasnt!!! I actually got in my car to get away... one was in it WITH ME... and when I got out a few hundred yards away it STILL tried to zap me!!!

When you SWAT a yellowjacket it releases pheromones that QUICKLY signals the others... " I have been killed!!! avenge me, my brethren!!!!! " and they do!!!!

The second time I got it... there was a nest in a hedgerow I was mowing... I went over the nest 3 times before they decided enough was enough... I got it a bunch of times before getting back to the house...

within a week SKUNKS had dug up EVERY ground bee nest in that section of yard... NO MORE yellowjackets!!!!

needless to say... SKUNKS are ALWAYS welcome around my place!!! 032.gif

000.gif

I used mineral spirits in a garden sprayer last year and they are instantly paralyzed and dead in a few seconds. Worked better than gasoline and has a lower flash point. These were the Yellow Jackets that are the size of your thumb, really big ones, but it also works wonders on the red wasps, regular yellow jackets, ants, and bumble bees.

Edited by Razorback

Funny,

We were at the lake house this weekend, and there was a big nest dangling from the porch light and every time you passed it they all got into attack mode. Well I wanted to get em but nobody wanted to participate needless to say that one of the passer unders was not too fortunate and got nailed on his Neck. There mean little creatures...