• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid, a dog was sort of like a cow -- it was was 'chattle' or property, an animal that you may grant house privelege to but that was about it. Over the years, things have changed. I have seen and have seen and have come to understand more how (especially) a dog is more a member of the family.

Max was such a member of the family. That was something I understood the first moment I met him. No, I couldn't talk politics with him (but I can't discuss that very intelligently, myself) but he was a person of sorts and a better one than a lot of two-legged ones I've met. He was also braver than many humans and willing to put his life on the line for Cobra who he (Max) also apparently regarded as a person and a friend rather than an 'owner'.

My prayers go out to you. Hopefully, there is a place for him even now.

Edited by Aethelbert

Having meet Shannons dog I can say first hand they were attached at the hip. This is proof positive as hard and diligently as Shannon look for Max, Max was as devoted to him.

Rest in Peace Max and tell my childhood dog companion hello when you get up to the Big Dog House in the sky.

Take care Shannon and you have my # if you need anything.

Man, I'm very sorry to hear that. You both will be in my prayers. I know how much like a child a dog can be.

I will pet a dog (my girl is at my parent's house while I'm at college, unfortunately) next chance I get for Max.

I'll also honk at an asshole driver next chance I get for ya.

Sadly,

Acer

Cobra and Racegal, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Every time I lose one it takes me years to get over it enough to get another.

Best Wishes!

Sorry bro. In the very least, you know your pup would have appreciated how hard you tried to find him.

I find it sad that there are those out there that aren't dog people who can never understand what great critters they are in their connection to us.

I've spent the last two days pounding the pavement around my rural neighborhood. I looked for tracks along the creek at the back of my property. I posted signs at all the exits from my neighborhood wired to the stop signs. I put a big sign with his picture ta the entrance to the local shopping area where the grocery store is. Put picture fliers up on telephone poles, trees, bulletin boards at local businesses, convenience stores, and the animal hospital right up the street, as well as putting a missing dog notice on their website and the county SPCA website. I'm getting ready to put up another one on Craig's list right now. I've driven around and around looking in ditches and along roadsides, in yards,...everywhere. I've asked the hwy construction dudes who are building a new bridge just down the street. I've gone door to door in my neighborhood and in the other neighborhood across the 4 lane hwy from where I live. I gave a flier to the pastor of the local church and he promised to show it around for me there. Today I'm going to do some more checking in the woods along the large creek that borders my property and goes a couple miles up to the next road. I'm gonna ask the people who live on the other end if they have seen him. I even made up some signs in spanish so the local latino population can have a chance to report and cash in on the reward. Those people have me a bit worried. I had a 180 pound sheep just disappear into thin air one weekend I was away camping...I've seen guys hanging around there with gang tatts and shit and I suspect they run in circles where cockfighting and dog fighting goes on. I've seen roosters kept there in the past and not free ranging either, sitting in little metal cages!

It's not AT ALL like Max to leave my side for any length of time and he has my name and number hanging around his neck on a choker chain. I know it's possible for a collar to come off but I find it highly unlikely due to his very long course hair and the fact it has never come off in his 7 years of life. I suspect my buddy has been grabbed. He's very friendly, although skittish at first. He went outside to use the bathroom two nights ago and never came back. He still had the runs from wandering off and getting into something the previous night.

I'm praying that it's just a bitch in heat somewhere around here and someone will see his pictures everywhere and call me. I have lost two other male shepherds like that and swore the last time I would never have another un neutered male. This is my punishment for breaking that promise to myself to save his life. I should have gotten him fixed but didn't have the money.

These are the best pics I have of him. I hope they won't be the last. Every day that goes by get s a lot harder top keep a positive attitude... :(

post-1293-1204211645_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204211663_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204211689_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204211703_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204211728_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204211780_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204211793.jpg

Oh my..... I hope your dog comes back. Its odd......Shepherds are so loyal..Racegal is correct that it probably wasn't the dogs choice to be gone.

I will keep in in my thoughts. That is a beautiful dog, and I will pray that it comes back to you.

I just finished the first page....

I am sorry for your loss. Dogs really become family when you have them, and I am sorry to hear that it ended like this. :(

Edited by headshot

Man,sorry it ended this way..this realy sucks.Ive made it pretty well known here how much my dogs mean to me so i know how you two must be feeling.At least you got to enjoy that time of true companionship together..those memorys can never be taken away.

Those of you that Know Cobra personally, know why I posted this information instead of him....

I still miss my big dog, and its almost 3 years since he died. I laugh every time I think of him, get annoyed at the traits he pushed on me, and am also sad that he is no longer at my side. It was like losing my child when he died unexpectedly, and it makes me sad to even think about that day.

I know Cobra is very upset, and I am unable to reach him, actually, which tells me that his friend is now buried, and it has effected him deeply. I was there for him in a past troubling time for him when it happened, so I know how much this is affecting him right now, and I feel really bad that I cannot reach him tonight, before I am too busy tomorrow at the shoot to really have some time to spend talking to him.

I might not agree with Cobra's logic sometimes, but he still is a good friend of mine, just that same that I know that I am his friend as well.

Edited by Bvamp

No matter what life throws at you bro.

Through this forum, I'm honored to stand by your side.

Especially in the roughest of times.

You got family here that loves ya bro (and Gal)!

Cobra,Racegal

i am very sorry to hear about Max, the passing of a companion is always hard to deal with and my prayers are with You ,Racegal and Max . may he rest in peace and you find solace in due time knowing that his life with you was the best kind of life any of us would wish for !!!!!!

sincerly

Belt Fed Frog

Thanks all you guys...and gal! Max is resting now and at least he is here in the family pet cemetary and not somehwere in the woods or on a roadside. This has been very traumatic...an emotional rollercoaster. People have called me with reports of THREE different stray Shepherds within 5 miles of me, two of those within 3 miles. In fact they way I found him was a result of us going out yesterday morning to pick up a German Shepherd 2.5 miles straight down the creek for me. The lady was "sure" he was the dog in the picture on the flier she was right there looking at. He had come into her yard that morning and was playing with her dog. Her husband had gotten him rounded up on their porch and she said she was so happy that they had found him for us.

I blazed a trail over there in ten minutes and my heart went from pumping out of my chest, to sinking down in my stomach when I saw this beautiful Shepherd headed toward me on a leash and it wasn't Max :cryss: I can't even describe the feeling of disappointment. They had nowhere to keep him and had to get to work so I offered to take the dog in and hopefully find his rightful owners or adopt him myself if we couldn't find them. I figured for sure, as many pictures on posters as I have wired to stop signs and stapled to telephone poles around here, they might at least call me to say theirs was lost too and ask if I had heard about him or seen him. I was starting to climb out of my sick feeling again and had a new hope that we might still find Max and maybe even get to help this dog reunite with his family. Then at least if neither of these things happened, I already had a beautiful rescue to ease the pain of our loss and become my new best friend. He is even young enough to train!

On the way home I saw a neighbor walking up the road who knew me and I asked him if he had happened to see Max running loose in the last three days. At first he said no, then in talking a few more minutes he suddenly remembered seeing a large dead dog in the median ravine along the 4 lane highway near here. I had actually passed the spot he told me about several dozen times and even posted two signs (the first one washed out by the rain) there within 30 feet of where I went and found my buddy laying. The ditch was deep there and he was not visible from the car. We just parked there between the whizzing traffic for awhile and cried.

I couldn't load him into the Blazer with us and the new dog so I took the new dog home and put him in the house, took a call from Bvamp, and headed back down the road to get him home.

We took him down by the creek to the place where all my pets eventually end up and I dug a deep grave beside my old buddy Rebel who passed away in '96. It has been that long, and I refused to have another dog until I had the opportunity to save Max and give him a new home. We had no choice but to let this nice new dog come down with us and attend his service. I was starting to feel a lot more attached to him.

He was beautiful, perfect markings, about 8 mos old with HUGE feet body and neck. He will surely grow up to be at least 150 lbs when he grows into those feet. His temperament was just as awesome. Sweet and good natured, he didn't even try to eat our cats. He was curious of course but not furious....

So the day went by and we were in the process of burying my friend when I took another call from a good friend, this time it was Juggs. He had some kind words for us that were very appreciated and came at a time we both needed strength. Thank you man.

Then right after we got back to what we were doing the phone rang again. This time I already knew who it must be and my heart sank even further but at the same time I was happy somehow. Again...rollercoaster...

It was the lady who had called me that morning again. She said her son had just got home from school and one of his friends on the bus was the owner of the other Shepherd. I knew this would probably happen and was prepared to deal with it again, we were even going to take him and have him scanned for a chip. I knew not to get too attached to him because somewhere out there, there had to be a heartbroken family desperate just like I had been to find their pet. It was till hard though. I managed to find some happiness in the looks on their faces when they came and picked up their baby.

Then it was back down to the graveyard for another bout of sickness. We let Sandi's son Adam say his goodbye and we looked at him laying there at peace for a few minutes. He didn't even look hurt. He looked asleep, even laying in the same position he so often did by my bedside at night.

I wrapped him up and we lowered him into the grace....I played taps for him on my harmonica and we said a few words, tossed in some nice clean NC red dirt, placed his favorite toy with him and covered him up.

I loaded my new MD Arms drum to capacity and fired them all off slowly thru my favorite shotgun.

It was a nice service, even though it had been interrupted by another heartbreak mixed with beaming pleasure of doing a good deed.

I'm going down their now to clean up around the gravesite and mark his headstone. It was dark by the time we finished up last night.

I hope you all don't mind me sharing all this gooey stuff with you my friends. It helps some to talk about it. I wish I was in Fla right now blasting away with the rest of the guys who got to go....

I just saw this thread Cousin. I feel horrible! I never really understood pets much. Because growing up in a small apartment, in a big city. I never had pets. But I understand now. I got my first dog when I was 31! Yeah. What's wrong with me? I know.

But I truly undertsand the bond that You speak of. My girl is a German Schnauzer. Not everyones favorite. But my wife is allergic to most dogs, and cats, and something about the hair vs. fur or something, on a terrier type. She's smart as hell, and is great with my kids. And I don't know what I'd do without her.

I don't want You to feel worse by saying that You had great memories, therefore bringing them into the forefront of Your mind. But You are good people, and take care of Your other Family, the K-9 ones shows You have heart. There are alot of bad people out there who don't know how to treat animals. We hear about em everyday.

It's not wishy-washy, or too sad to hear about a Man ( and your woman, and child) Loving an animal. Heck. It adds a great side to knowing You.

I feel for your family. You are in my prayers. My kids will put in a good word too with their friend Jesus that they just learned about at church. They love their first dog very much too. And I'm dreading the day when We are all seperated.

My heart goes out to You. Love Ya Cuz.

Hello, Cobra and Racegal

I've been holding off for a couple of days to post this. Believe me, I know how losing your best bud can impact each and every thing you do in a day....Nothing seems "normal" or "routine"....

One thing you can count on, is every minute of every day makes it a bit easier to cope with. Eventually, the sorrow and the feelings of loss will be replaced with all of the invaluable memories Max has left in your hearts. That's their "purpose on the planet", I reckon....To be that friend who's always there to listen, and offer up a big tongue-slap when we need it the most (and sometimes when we expect it the least.. :cryss: )

Point is, Max would feel like he just didn't do his "job" right, if he was to look down from the Happy Hunting Ground and see y'all sad...He would want you to be laughing about all of the irreplaceable moments he shared with you, and that's how he would prefer to be remembered.

And, I'll bet what Max remembers is the best possible years he could have ever hoped for in his wildest doggie-dreams, with a pal that thought the world of him and allowed him to share what looks like "dogger-Heaven" with him.

I'll bet Max would be mega-proud if his space in that "Dogger-Heaven" were filled with another dog, one who just like Max, desperately needs to find someone to love and care for them.

Of course, the space Max has in your hearts can never be filled by another. Max can take pride in knowing that is his forever.

And you can take pride in the fact that you provided Max with the best possible life.

I'm very heartbroken for your loss. Chins-up and smiles for all your wonderful moments together.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, then send me where they go....."

-Will Rogers

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

I am sorry about Max too. My wife's family had a German Shepherd named Max too and to this day anytime any of them say Max they do it with a reverent tone and a sadness in their voice. I will admit I take a less sentimental country boy attitude towards dogs but a great dog has traits I wish more people had.

Is the German Shepherd a semi official gun guy dog? My local gun shop has one and so does my gun range.

Thanks again y'all. It's good to have friends to vent on at times...

I appreciate all your good thoughts and so does Sandi.

The German Shepard has long been a favorite working dog for police and military so I guess you could say they are all "gun guys".

My dad was in love with them after he came home from Viet Nam, from working around them over there. He got us one as soon as he got back to the states and it was from a contact he made in the Air Force. Gretchen was a great dog and was my first dog. She was from a very good bloodline that was used by the military and police, as well as Hollywood. She was supposedly from the same line as the famous TV dog Rin Tin Tin. At that time in the early 70's there were a lot of Shepherds being sold to people with that same story but I believe she really was. The govt. doesn't mess around when it comes to breeding dogs for service. My second dog was the pick from her first litter (which BTW was her last because the asshole neighbor across the fence poisoned her for jumping the fence and chasing his damned dachsunds around!) :killer: We had to bottle feed twelve pups after that when we found her dead in the workshop surrounded by hungry puppies. I still remember paying that neighbor a visit the next day with my baseball bat and taking out his storm door because he was afraid to answer the door....

Baron grew to be 135 lbs of solid big smart dog! His favorite toy was a brick....lol. I got my ass kicked once for playing catch with him with that brick. That dog was huge. I used to ride him like a horse as a kid. His mouth opened so wide he popped my brand new basketball one time. My dad just laughed and got me another one and told me to keep that one away from him.

I ended up losing him too eventually. He jumped our 8 foot fence and chased this stupid little girl home for throwing rocks at him inside the fence and laughing at him. I almost never forgave my parents for letting the animal control guys force us to get rid of him or turn him over to them. My dad hated it too but he found him a nice home in the country with room to run.

Over the years since then, I have had at least a dozen more Shepherds (only ever had one other dog and it was a Rottie I rescued...AWESOME dog) and still not one of them has died of old age in my possession. Something always seems to happen, either running off after a bitch, getting hit by a car, poisoned, lost, taken away, heartworms, distemper, you name it. geez! I hope that one day I can have one live out his whole life with me and die happy. My next dog will get all the best medicines and the best treatment possible!

Jumping in here kinda late. Once I read the first few posts when it started, I decided not to read a whole lot more. I have a weak spot for pets, and hate to read anything like this. But I'm truly sorry to hear the update. My thoughts are with you and Racegal.

At least you found him so there is no uncertainty about where he is and you can give him a proper burial now.

Definitely. I would go insane not knowing where my dog is, and never finding him. As shitty as it sounds, I would rather find my dog deceased, as opposed to never at all.

I lost a treasured friend today

The little dog who used to lay

Her gentle head upon my knee

And share her silent thoughts with me...

She'll come no longer to my call

Retrieve no more her favorite ball

A voice far greater than my own

Has called her to His golden throne.

Although me eyes are filled with tears,

I thank Him for the happy years

He let her spend down here with me

And for her love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go

And join her there, this much I know...

I shall not fear the transient dark

For she will greet me with her bark.

Cobra, Racegal, I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

I am an animal person, have had all sorts of unusual pets, and at this time have a herd of small dogs and a herd of cats of my own.

They get to be like your kids, and it can take a long time for the hurt to go away. I still fondly think of pets that have went years ago to wherever animals go from this earth .

Again, very sorry for your loss. I can tell by your posts that you lost a friend.

Edited by waltham_41

I just want to thank everyone for the thoughts and prayers, especially the ones for all of us. I have cried so much I didn't think I could anymore but then it happens again. I just went out and cleaned his brush out and saved the fur as a remembrance of him. He will be sorely missed here by all of us. God bless all of you.

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. As Aethelbert said, the four legged people are often much better than the two legged kind.

If he was a good dog, and he was burried by you, you know where he is now. He's probably taking lessons in popping basketballs, just so he can put a smile on your face that's a mile long the next time you meet.

Sorry for your loss Cobra,

an all too familiar story, Uncles dog (very similar looking to your Max) just took off for no reason last summer, after 4 days someone saw the flyer they had posted, the dog had been hit right in front of the guys house, not knowing who's dog it was at that time, he burried the dog on his property (small farm).

They decided to just let him rest there, loved him too much disturb him any further and move him.

Again, sorry for your loss..... Take care man.