X-Rays of Saiga 12 Magazines

Hey Drew!

I'd love to shoot this weekend. I've currently got my Saiga taken apart because of a broken trigger guard though. I've got a Tromix TG on order though, so hopefully it'll be here shortly. I'll email you when it comes in.

Corbin

you can come see mine..... wanna shoot this weekend???
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry it took so long to get these up, seems I never have any time to myself these days.   Since there has been some discussion as to which magazines have steel inserts and which do not, I have t

Send me one.   Thanks for the bump, Chile. Its cool to see this pop back up from time to time. I've come a long way since I started this thread, both personally and professionally.   Well, I was s

DistalRadius, send me your mailing address and I'll have a sample sent to you... If your up for taking some more cool pictures.

Posted Images

Sorry it took so long to get these up, seems I never have any time to myself these days. :blush:

Since there has been some discussion as to which magazines have steel inserts and which do not, I have taken it upon myself to take some quick x-rays of my own S12 magazines. I have pics of the Russian 5, Taiwanese 5, AGP 10, and MD20.

post-6253-1238202577_thumb.jpg

Russian 5 on left, Taiwanese 5 on right

The steel insert in the front locking tab of the Russian magazine is clearly visible.

post-6253-1238202733_thumb.jpg

Front view. No steel love from Taiwan.

post-6253-1238202798_thumb.jpg

Top view. The insert is the small white arc on top of the lefthand magazine.

post-6253-1238202941_thumb.jpg

AGP 10 compared to Russian 5.

post-6253-1238203000_thumb.jpg

AGP 10 fully loaded 2 3/4" 00 buck

post-6253-1238203054_thumb.jpg

Now, call me a geek, but I think this is really cool!

post-6253-1238203129_thumb.jpg

MD20 side view. Steel insert is clearly visible.

post-6253-1238203209_thumb.jpg

Top view.

I wish I had a Russian 8 to show too, but I can't afford one at the moment! At least I finally got these pictures up. Maybe someday, I'll eventually get around to doing the 8" vs 19" pattern testing as well. :rolleyes:

Your x-rays of the MD20 drum are one of the reasons I ended up going with that design over other designs. Thanks for sharing your time and the x-ray images with us. :)

• 2 months later...

Thank you for your X-ray photos, I was on the fence about the MD-20, I have been doing alot of research about diffrent high capacity mags because the Pro-mag piece of crap I bought failed me miserably. it won't even lift 3" buck when I MANUALLY extract them! The x-ray of the MD-20 however is cementing my choice to buy it. Before I was concerned about the front wearing out & breaking with heavy use. You show the steel reinforcement :killer: . I don't know why mike doesn't mention that...?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Here's a question regarding the MD-20 that I've never seen addressed...

Is the mag catch area supported by an internal steel tab? I've always been a bit bothered by the fact that saiga mags have such a small mag catch, and I had to do both the A and B fittings on my MD-20 to get it to fit (leaving me with a pretty small tab).

Looking at the MD-20 x-ray, it looks like it's got a small metal tab inside. Any thoughts???

45261-qZyWoJeZmaGil54-mag_catch.jpg

Edit - looking at that again, could that be the head of a screw holding the back cover on? It looks like it's right at the mag catch, but I think the image could be deceiving...

Edited by billyjoebob

Here's a question regarding the MD-20 that I've never seen addressed...

Is the mag catch area supported by an internal steel tab? I've always been a bit bothered by the fact that saiga mags have such a small mag catch, and I had to do both the A and B fittings on my MD-20 to get it to fit (leaving me with a pretty small tab).

Looking at the MD-20 x-ray, it looks like it's got a small metal tab inside. Any thoughts???

45261-qZyWoJeZmaGil54-mag_catch.jpg

Edit - looking at that again, could that be the head of a screw holding the back cover on? It looks like it's right at the mag catch, but I think the image could be deceiving...

Nah, theres no steel reinforcement here. These are the two topmost rear cover screws nearly superimposed. Look closely at that area on the front view and you'll see that these two screws, the ridges in the drum body, and the base of the tower all nearly line up when viewed from the side. Thats what you're seeing in the above photo.

• 11 months later...

AWESOME PICS! i really dig this coz reading Xrays is part of my job description. that MD20 drum is simply a modern work of art. Hat's off to you Mike.

i thought i was the only one who does this sh!t. i used to Xray my shotgun shells to see how big the pellets are and how many are inside. this is how i discovered the gun store i'm buying shells from are cheating or mislabeling the #4 buckshots i am buying from them. it turns out they're selling #4 birdshot as seen in the xray below. the second one is a double "O" buck.

b3adbc47-35f8-4dbe-8d94-e1fcf6f72026.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I really like the X rays but how in the world did you get them done. I had a sword cane I had painted with lead paint several years back done (before 911) and my doctor charged me a fortune to do it. Plus it took some smooth talk to get him to. I wanted to see if the lead paint would conceal the sword (it didn't). I used to travel by air a lot and felt naked without any kind of weapon.

• 1 year later...

Ok here we go again! Just a little teaser, will be more to come soon!

New and improved pics of the Russian and Taiwanese 5 rounders.

post-6253-0-29149600-1366219301_thumb.jpg

Guess which is which...

post-6253-0-95850700-1366219325_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-54512900-1366219338_thumb.jpg

And heres a little bonus for yall. Taiwanese mag is loaded with Rio 9 pellet 00 buck and the Russian mag is loaded with Remington 9 pellet 00 buck.

post-6253-0-19058500-1366219401_thumb.jpg

Digital radiography rocks!

Enjoy! I'll add more later when I get a chance.

Edited by DistalRadius
  • Like 3