What is your backup to the S12?

The chambering sound of a Mossberg 500 with weaponlight strobe... assuming our large shepherd is out of the way - then the firing of the Moss 500 with 00 buck, maybe a slug round.

I think someone else had a picture just like this.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gun, why a gun? Just wake my wife up from a dead sleep, if the high pitched screaming and cussing isn't enough, wait for the ass whooping. But I do sleep with a Glock 19, & FN 5.7x28, gotta have some way to shut her up, after the perp is taken care of. :):):):):)

Gun, why a gun? Just wake my wife up from a dead sleep, if the high pitched screaming and cussing isn't enough, wait for the ass whooping. But I do sleep with a Glock 19, & FN 5.7x28, gotta have some way to shut her up, after the perp is taken care of. :):):):):)

:lolol: too funny!!!

I would have to say my AMD 65 and or my glock 20 (10 mm)

FN 5.7x28

Five-Seven pistol?

I'd like to have one of them........

I fired one the other day and was pretty impressed. 20 round mags, hardly any recoil, and amazing muzzle velocity. Not the ideal self-defense pistol round, (.45 ACP is king of that category imo), but it's a very interesting design.. perfect for assassinations. :devil:

It might have been wasp killer. I don't remember. I know, Raid says "flamable" on the can. I'm not the guy that started using it. In fact, when I first saw someone spray something into the end of the suppressor, I wondered what the hell it was since they wrapped the can with 100 mile an hour tape (basically green duct tape).

I'm pretty sure any suppressor manufacturer would tell you NOT to spray anything into the can. I always thought CO2 might be a good substance, since it's cold, non-flamable and would push out most of the O2.

Anyway, this isn't really on track with the thread. If you want to PM me about anything, feel free.

Corbin

P.S. I'm waiting for someone to say they have a belt fed or a flame thrower as a backup. Hmmm.....a belt fed flamethrower? LOL

Raid huh. I thought that stuff was flammable. :cryss: Was this regular raid or army issued raid lol
Edited by Corbin

I keep my Kimber Ultra CDP II in night stand Thats the one I carry, so it is always nearby. I do have a fiveseven and a PS90 to go with it, but they stay sleeping in the safe. Thats 70 rounds between the two of them without reloading. YIKES!!! :devil:

Edited by mallarduck44

Somebody way back mentioned an unnamed arm in 8mm Mauser as a potential back up..... I am racking my brain but can only think of 2 amazing arms that are both belt fed that would fit into the "estate defense" category.. Hint: same country of origin and both are man portable

It might have been wasp killer. I don't remember. I know, Raid says "flamable" on the can. I'm not the guy that started using it. In fact, when I first saw someone spray something into the end of the suppressor, I wondered what the hell it was since they wrapped the can with 100 mile an hour tape (basically green duct tape).

I'm pretty sure any suppressor manufacturer would tell you NOT to spray anything into the can. I always thought CO2 might be a good substance, since it's cold, non-flamable and would push out most of the O2.

Anyway, this isn't really on track with the thread. If you want to PM me about anything, feel free.

Corbin

P.S. I'm waiting for someone to say they have a belt fed or a flame thrower as a backup. Hmmm.....a belt fed flamethrower? LOL

Raid huh. I thought that stuff was flammable. :cryss: Was this regular raid or army issued raid lol

12 gauge Remington 870 with Coates pistol grip stock and 18" barrel sporting a 6+1 capacity. Beretta PX4 storm .45 ACP with laser . Cadiz converted Saiga 20 gauge with laser and red dot sight. Yugo AK47 pistol loaded with 47 rounds of 154 grain soft point.

Though I have decent backup weapons, I've started a training regiment for unassuming animals (like kittens) so that they can kick your ass. :rolleyes: It works like this......

Only the most aggressive, ill tempered kitties are chosen:

MatrixKitty.jpg

First, any hint of individuality or innocence is stripped away. This is usually by means of humiliation:

PottyKitty.jpg

Here, "Cupcake" is wearing my experimental brain discombobulator. It reprograms the mind so only the most animalistic and aggressive patterns are allowed to remain:

MadFrogKitty.jpg

This is an early prototype that didn't work so well:

pardoned2.jpg

They are then introduced to an extreme regime of physical training and surprise situations. Booby trapped litter boxes and electrified drinking bowls are common. This trains them to expect the unexpected and turns them into survivors:

Quicklitter.jpg

OhGod.jpg

Not all make the cut. In fact, most cannot endure the training and are turned into drooling invalids. For example, here's the point when "Snowball" broke:

Noooooooo.jpg

This is how I found "Mittens" one morning. He left a note that only read "The horror....the horror...."

deadkitty.jpg

Here is "Snookums". His brain just couldn't handle the pressure. He now sits in the corner and drools all day:

pardoned.jpg

It didn't take long for the same to happen to "Caramel". He went into a state of severe depression:

SadKitty.jpg

Probably the worst case is that of "Mr. Wiggles". He just sits there and doesn't even blink, refusing to remove the discombobulator:

FrogCat.jpg

However, those few that make it through training are cold blooded killers. Here, "Tux" displays some of his Kung Fu abilities on a rabid pit bull:

KungFuKitty.jpg

Because of the rate of mental instability the participants have exhibited, I've recently begun including puppies in this training. The results are much better. Here is "Fluffy". He is the destroyer of Worlds.....

Fluffy2.jpg

This is "Rex". His specialty is the "Silent but deadly" gas attack:

IFarted.jpg

So don't try breaking into my home....I mean.....my LAIR! You will be met with wave after wave of untold terror......and a few drooling cats.

Corbin :haha:

Edited by Corbin

:lolol: Damn, Corbin.. you've got quite the menagerie of horror!

Funny thing is, I actually owned a cat that, from a kitten, would have dominated your killer-kitten training school.

His name was Spike and he was evil incarnate. Fucker used to jump on my face in the middle of the night, with all claws extended! :eek:

He's truly lucky that he lived through these episodes.

This was when he was a wee kitten! He only got more nasty and savage as he grew older.

Well, the Mossy 500 with 8rd tube, 18" barrel, and PG has always been and will always be our HD weapon of choice. I have mine and the wife has hers. I love my S12 but I didn't buy it for HD. It's more of a novelty for me. The Mossy 500's are always close at hand and always loaded with 00 buck.

Dog, Ruger LCP with 380 JHP, and/or a Mag Lite for my home defense... tac pump 870 20ga loaded with #3 buck in the bedroom also.

I don't really view my Saiga-12 as a home defense gun... too big to maneuver and too mean looking (probably asking for "excessive use of force" if you used a banana clip AK lookin gun to shoot a burglar who had what... a knife or nothing?). My Saiga sits locked and unloaded in the safe unless it's on the way to/from the range... or some kind of serious SHTF situation.

Since I have a narrow hallway and a bunch of corners...
Yep... exactly. I originally had just my pump shotgun for defense, and I felt fine with that. However, a few tactical defense and shooting courses have really shown me how hard long guns are to use effectively in most realistic indoor shooting distances. And, more importantly, how easy it is to disarm somebody trying to corner with a long gun. I think handguns are the clear best option in most homes... much harder to take away from you, far better maneuverability, and far easier one-handed operation while you use a phone, open a door, block a near attack, etc. Edited by slyguy

You raise an interesting point.....whatever weapon you end up using on an attacker will be taken into evidence by the Police, even if you were totally justified. It's just how things are. While a 20 round drum of OO buck would be great against a swarm of attackers, realistically, it's probably going to do more to make you look like a Rambo type to the local D.A. than anything. Especially against a single aggressor.

Granted, I'd rather have more firepower than a single shot shotgun, but I don't want my expensive Saiga (or anything else) being held as evidence for a year or however long it is until the D.A. decides what's what.....or if the family of the invader sues and the gun is held as evidence until that gets resolved.

Corbin

You raise an interesting point...

...a 20 round drum of OO buck would be great against a swarm of attackers, realistically, it's probably going to do more to make you look like a Rambo type to the local D.A. than anything. Especially against a single aggressor...

Yeah... I'm just your average Joe (no death threats, no crazy ex-, no drug/gang affiliations), and I just don't ever see a bunch of heavily armed guys randomly stormin my house. From talkin friends who are lawyers and cops (as well as just common logic), it seems that the vast majority of people of people who get violently attacked or killed in their own home were clearly mixed up with the wrong crowd in the first place. Drug dealing, gangs, etc... they were playin with fire, they got burnt by somebody looking to get their drug stash or revenge. You see the drug violence in the news every day, but violent home attacks on random unknown people are very rare... why would a criminal go into a random unknown house when they could find a lot more money to rob at a business or seek out somebody much more vulnerable to rape/beat/kill on the street?

I think a simple cat burglar would be the main home threat to your average decent citizen, and while that could always turn violent, most of those are a single criminal and planned specifically for when the home is empty. A random violent mugging or carjacking is a definite possibility when out on the streets, but your Saiga obviously won't do you much good there since it'll be at home or in the trunk. That's why I think a CCW pistol in trained hands would probably do fine for either practical defense situation (home burglary or random attack on the street), so that's what I go with.

I've basically come to the conclusion that self protection and home security can drive ya crazy if you obsess about it. I've read books, taken classes, and developed what I think are basic, practical plans. Using my Saiga or gettin an AR for regular home defense just seems like overkill... from a legal and practical (cornering/maneuverability) standpoint. However, if there were ever some major storm with long term power outage or other crazy SHTF where there might be roving gangs of looters, then yah, those are situations I could see my Saiga out of the gun safe and being used as a legit primary home defense option. Those situations are highly unlikely, but better to have it and not need it... plus the Saiga sure is a hell of a lotta fun at the range :D

Edited by slyguy
  • 1 month later...

I just dropped my s12 off today and found this thread looking for info on the chaos wave break. I miss my s12 really bad and it has only been 9 hours. I have two Glock 30's which I conceal carry, and one is never far. I would probably have to go with my s308 or Draco AK pistol. If they broke in rite now they would be facing my mac90, which I just removed a muzzle break from, and is sitting next to me with a 40 in it. I really am missing my s12, but I cant wait to get it back. I have never touched a converted saiga of any kind. My 308 is next up. Cant wait to see her again. :wub:

Well, the first line of defense used to be the Sheperd. But now it is the EL-PREGO WIFEE...Trust me, you don't want to wake her up from a deep sleep. I know that I don't want to anymore.. :lolol:

I have my AK47 at close hand with a full clip then i would reach for my Glock 29 10mm with a 15 round mag full of double tap loads...Then my Ruger Alaskan 2inch snubby using 454 casual loads..Then prob my sig Mauser .45..But im sure before the second weapon is ready..the bad guy should be dead..I dont think i have them in order on youtube..but you can take a look..Oh and dont mind the feet..it was late at night when i made this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBDAIV0XF2E

Oh I sure would like a Ruger Alaskan .454 snubby. I should ask the dealers around here if they import it. :)