Promag 12 Round Drum

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me get something clear here. I don't think they will be worth a damn! I haven't yet tried one so can't say for sure. But what I do know is your position on this subject is "Silly" to put it as

Sounds like this would have made a better PM....nice.   Well you're wrong Mike. You are taking things much too personal. I made an observation based on what has been written on these pages and that

It's no use. I'll get thrown under the bus for trying to defend myself against an attack that should have been a private conversation. If you hadn't quoted it I was on my here to just delete it. Thank

Posted Images

Post edited to remove my positive comment about doublestacks. This thread is not about stick mags, it's about drums.

Cobra, don't feel like you have to separate the two; they will most likely be competing in the market place.

There used to be significant distinction between drums and stick mags mainly due to capacity and size limitations of each design, but now with various mini drums about to come into the picture as well as the double stack mags, the areas of operation are beginning to overlap and i'm guessing there will be much discussion about the pros and cons of each.

Range toy. rolleyes.gif

At that price they'll definately sell some, then everyone will come in here asking why their Promag drum broke/sucks/doesn't work. Personally, I'm kinda sick of seeing Promag market their junk onto the cheap-asses of the gun community. You really get what you pay for.

Has there been any word on the capacities of the double stack. Mike was talking about there being dif ones.

The doubles are differently on my "to buy list" the pro mags are on the "not to buy" list. The company needs to step back and redesign all of their products to get a little bit of quality into them instead of quantity. You just hear way to many complaints about them.

Edited by Racer 27
  • Like 1

The guys at Promag are not deaf. They have heard all the talk... and all the anti promag hype. I'm sure they didn't just go into this blindly and put out a Tonka quality drum, knowing full well their product would have to run the gauntlet on this forum, just like the 10 rd stick they are still having problems with. More importantly even, they surely were familiar with the interweb battles between MD Arms and "that other company", and all the mudslinging, prejudices, torture testing, videos, endless comparison posting, and all else that has gone on between the only two drums so far available for the S-12. They had to know the friggin wall they were up against, before ever taking on the idea of a drum mag for this gun. I applaud them for taking on that challenge and at least producing something. I will withhold all judgement until I have actually had one in my hands and tried it. I'm looking forward to Chaos' new drum also. It will be interesting to see the differences. Sight unseen, I would bet Chaos' 10 rd drum will be higher quality, just like MD Arms is, but there's good reason for that...

All that said, at the very least, Promag jumping in the pool, whether they piss in it or make it better, has already brought on a great thing....the drums went from being overpriced toys, to something a lot more people can afford and will actually get to own now.

This. Word for word. I'm holding out all judgement until I see reports.

I've yet to have a good experience with Promag.

Maybe this will be a decent product. We'll find out soon.

I use my S 12 for home defense and I just can't see myself trusting "Promag" for the security of my family.

I think this post touches on something very important. All new products for the Saiga, whether they are put out by our own group of talented business members, or not....they will eventually be discussed (and judged by) the members of this forum. Maybe people should try and keep in mind while doing this "judging"....not everyone buys new things for their Saigas to protect their families or property with. Not every new thing I buy for my guns has to pass the ultimate test in a life or death situation....therefore I'm not so anally critical about every new mag or product. If it works at all, and can be tweaked a little to work better.....if it's able to be bought at a good price....then I can add it to my collection and not feel bad about it. If it's a total piece of shit, but will still hold a door open while storing nice festively colored shotgun shells, visible through the sides of it's poorly designed body....then it's just another addition to my collection.

I have Izhmash factory 8 rd mags if I want to go into battle and risk my life with them.

• Like 2

While MD's 20 round drum is great, the apparent dimension of this 12 rounder is really nice and much more compact. That's always the thing that bothered me about large drums....there is so much wasted space at the center of the drum, but there really isnt any other option for manufacturers...they are limited by the number of shells/capacity.

I've been dying for Cameron to move forward with his 10 round minidrum for this reason. The blueprints of it on the Chaos sight look like it's very similar to the promag drum pictured on page 1 of this thread.

Let's hope this isn't a typical Promag abortion. If it gets good reviews, I think I'd prefer a minidrum to a double stack, just because a drum will take up less vertical clearance on the gun.

I've yet to have a good experience with Promag.

Maybe this will be a decent product. We'll find out soon.

I use my S 12 for home defense and I just can't see myself trusting "Promag" for the security of my family.

I've had no negative experience with Promag, I have several of their x39 mags and never had a problem.

Then again, I know better than to touch any of their S-12 mags. :lolol:

Patiently waiting for MD Double Stacks........

• Like 1

I've already got 2 drums, so I'd really like to put my hands on a double stack mag.

I also get what Cobra is saying. Not everyone is afraid that the world is going to end or that zombies are going to attack. Which means every gun purchase isn't based on life or death situations. I'd seriously reserve any opinion until real accounts are posted. Until then, everyone looking to buy a drum should take advantage of the proven quality and great price of MD Arms.

Edited by Bridis

My firearms are Tools, Not Toys.

Who wants a dull knife? Why use the same brand of axe that the handles break on? and if you get a new handle is it going to be from the same company? Do you go out and buy the cheapest hammer possible, or get something that will finish the job at hand and the one after it?

I'm looking foward to the results, But my expectations are extreemly low, and it'll take more than a few people telling me they work to buy into the impending hype.

Who wants a dull knife? Why use the same brand of axe that the handles break on? and if you get a new handle is it going to be from the same company? Do you go out and buy the cheapest hammer possible, or get something that will finish the job at hand and the one after it?

When you're bored, do you go outside and play with your hammer?

Firearms are tools AND toys.

• Like 2

LOL! Good one! :lolol:

• Like 1

After i make my video on the promag mini drum ..you guys would be the judge to see if it is something of use or shit

load it fully. run it over a bunch of times with a pickup truck. shoot every round without failure. then i'll by one.

I'm looking foward to the results, But my expectations are extreemly low, and it'll take more than a few people telling me they work to buy into the impending hype.

Holy Hell! You became a Moderator. Damn, funs over! Now I have to start acting serious.

I have lots of tools and lots of toys. None of them bring me the same joy as my firearms do.:D

Who wants a dull knife?

Uhhh....maybe a KNIFE COLLECTOR? :huh: Maybe someone who knows how to put an edge on dull steel?;)

Why use the same brand of axe that the handles break on? and if you get a new handle is it going to be from the same company?

This is a brand new product from them. It's totally different than anything else they have ever made. Still haven't found the handle yet....

Do you go out and buy the cheapest hammer possible, or get something that will finish the job at hand and the one after it?

I've still got the same Estwing hammers I've had for over thirty years. I'll never replace them unless they get lost. I don't drive nails or beat things apart with my drums. They serve a different purpose. Let's hope it will do that. I intend to own all of them, so yes I will know for my own self which ones work best and which ones are shit. I won't let myself be influenced by a bunch of talk on the internet. The reason I know wraithmakers suck is because I have one. That's the fun thing about Saigas....they aren't ARs...you can actually have all the parts you like, that are made for them if you want, without having to be rich. I COLLECT Saigas and parts for them. I also shoot them. The ones that get the most range time are the ones that I like the best. I like the ones best that work the best. It has nothing to do with what I read about them. I have learned everything I know by hands on experience. And yes, some of what I have are nothing more than "range toys"...and that's ok.:rolleyes:

I'm looking foward to the results, But my expectations are extreemly low, and it'll take more than a few people telling me they work to buy intent o the impending hype.

Don't worry, I'll tell people only what happens with mine, and it won't be sales hype. If it sucks I'll be among the first to say so, but it won't be so I can look cool and be part of a large group of haters, it will be because I tried it myself. I don't work for them. Don't buy it if you don't like it.

I must say, that after reading Cobra's comment, that I too will have to purchase one so I can to judge for myself. The price is really pretty good, if it really works. I was reading this thread earlier, and 1st thing that came to mind was, I wonder if any of these people who are trashing this product/company, have ever tried a promag stick, or drum mag. I am not one to defend what I've not had a chance to evaluate. My experience with Promag is limited to the 1) 10 round stick I purchased, and it has had a failure to feed once, and I can say the same for my AGP mags as well. Can I comment on if I think the design looks like it will work? Yes, I too have my doubts and reservations about this product (looks a little fragile on the cover), but I will still buy one to go with the MD drums I own, take them all to the range and do a good side by side comparison before I do judge this product. Thanks for the topic.

Edited by Razorback

At that price I await the t&e. Fun range toy for sure.

Not sure why people are calling the clear plastic a liability. I guess it was a liability with the AUG mags too. Also those bulgarian synthetic mags everyone was paying ridiculous amounts for during the ban after Magua/Chief Thunder stopped importing them (the clear ones). Unless you're exposing your synthetics to UV constantly shouldn't be an issue and honestly that's an issue for almost ANY synthetic. ANY. Don't care what your polymer is or what color it is sunlight is the enemy of all thing synthetic to varying degrees. Promag could be utternly retarded and use composites they shouldn't but I'm hoping that they've learned their lesson fromt he bazillion other people in the market place that have found out what using the wrong polymers can do to your product.

The chinese drum I have holds its backplate on with two extremely skimpy stamped sheet metal tabs. It has yet to spontaneously disassemble on me. Would I willingly drop it? No.

Are drums even serious options for most social users of shotguns or rifles? Absolutely not outside of very niche markets. As I said in another thread, run a carbine with a drum on it through a real carbine course someday and you'll see why stick mags > drums for 99 percent of situations.

Bravo to promag for trying something. I'm with Cobra on this one.

...Chaos' mini drums excite me more though ;)

The Promag drum is interesting, and personally their S12 mags work fine for me after a bit of tinkering. But hey, I enjoy that kind of stuff. I probably won't buy one, for the same reason I haven't bought a 20 round drum. just think their usage is limited vs. a mag.

Now about those doublestack mags..... ohh how I want to check one of THOSE out!!! :super:

Ask anyone who knows me personaly, I love playing with my tools. Never known anyone who enjoys remodeling?

That said they arn't any fun when they don't work, now are they? A failure is a failure.

The way Mike dropped his price on the 20 rd drums, it sure doesn't look like he thought they were going to be a failure now does it?

My money says he has already seen these mags, probably at SHOT.

Who would you rather listen to?

• Like 2

The way Mike dropped his price on the 20 rd drums, it sure doesn't look like he thought they were going to be a failure now does it?

My money says he has already seen these mags, probably at SHOT.

Who would you rather listen to?

That sure seems like a lot of conjecture and assumption based on your part.

Mike knows that company has stayed in buisness regardless of selling a lot of faulty products. How has that happened? maybe us buying them hoping they will work this time?

Whatever NB...call it what you want. It's not friggin rocket science. From the looks of it,the thing is almost an exact copy of what Mike has already built and proven to work. With all that went into making that, and also a 20 rd model, don't ya think maybe someone, somewhere along the line said...hey maybe we should see if it works before making a bunch for sale....wouldn't want to have to go through the same thing we did with those other mags....duhhhh.

• Like 3