only 284 days till the Mayan calender ends ( as of 3/11)

What will happen on December 21 2012  

99 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen on December 21 2012

• Solar flare knocks out all electronics sending us into the dark ages
    • earths poles flip causing new ice age
    • nothing except the wakos that believe this cause riots
    • I just get another day older
    • mutiple natural disasters( tsunamis, earth quakes, super volcanos erupting) cause destruction

It's not a prediction of the end of the world. The long count calendar counts 5 periods or ages. It's a big circle. We are at the end of the 5th "age". The calendar measures time based on mathematical calculations of celestial movement. We are witnessing the culmination of a major celestial event, and alignments that havent been seen for a very long time. When the calendar ends, it just starts over.

Edit: as far as the end of the world or SHTF goes, NASA has been issuing warnings of a possible major solar event for a few years. A big enough solar flare would really throw a wrench in the gears of our electronic machine.

Edited by dayofruin
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing is going to happen as I am in the process of building a replica Mayan Sacrificial Altar.

That's nothing; I've got a calendar right on my desk that ends in 17 days!

Just don't chase after those Mayan girls too hard. They'll rip your heart out.

Posted Images

solar flairs are hit or miss arnt they?i mean they could hit the other side of the world and not affect us,?

A large solar flare will take out many of the satellites as well as electronics on the ground, one side or the other will not matter. So probably reduced GPS, Cell signals, spotty internet and a few blackouts from power plant trips and or grid trips.

Oh my God, that would put us back in the 70's horror.gif

People would have to read 2D maps, not know the latest mud on the celebs and actually drive a car without distraction.

Woo Hoo bring it on

• Like 1

solar flairs are hit or miss arnt they?i mean they could hit the other side of the world and not affect us,?

A large solar flare will take out many of the satellites as well as electronics on the ground, one side or the other will not matter. So probably reduced GPS, Cell signals, spotty internet and a few blackouts from power plant trips and or grid trips.

People would have to read 2D maps, not know the latest mud on the celebs and actually drive a car without distraction.

Woo Hoo bring it on

Won't be driving many cars....all the wonderful ECM's we've all grown to love so much will be fried!

• 3 weeks later...

everyone knows ancient aliens made the mayan calendar. chiseling away a rock with another rock is way beyond human level intelligence.

it clearly shows us when we should drink the kool-aid so we can catch the next ufo off the planet.

It's an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem. For instance, on the planet Earth, Man had always assumed that he was the most intelligent species occupying the planet, instead of the *third* most intelligent. The second most intelligent creatures were of course dolphins who, curiously enough, had long known of the impending destruction of the planet earth. They had made many attempts to alert mankind to the danger, but most of their communications were misinterpreted as amusing attempts to punch footballs or whistle for titbits. So they eventually decided they would leave earth by their own means. The last ever dolphin message was misinterpreted as a surprisingly sophisticated attempt to do a double backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the star-spangled banner, but in fact the message was this: So long and thanks for all the fish.

• Like 2

The astronomy is pretty much just Math, as dayofruin mentioned. They may have been great at math, and with fomulas, the fixed patterns and rotations are easy to "Predict" for basically all of eternity. A computer can tell us where "Capricorn" will be in 10,000 years, and "Predict" every eclipse(angry Sun God).

Actually predicting random events is a totally different matter.....we all know you need a crystal ball for that!!

Right, which was what I was thinking. Predicting apparent movements of cosmological phenomena needs some sophistication, but developing a theory explaining the mechanisms underlying the phenomena would seem to require an additional level of technological advancement that--while it may be lost to history--doesn't seem to be there. Unless there's another explanation...

627067.jpg

The dude's hair from Ancient Aliens automatically robs any credibility of what might come out of his mouth.

Woo Hoo bring it on

I kinda agree with you. To a point technology is killing us. Kids don't know how to have a conversation face to face because all they know is texting. I have become so dependent on my GPS that I cant remember how to get to a new location, unless I have travelled it several times. And I am sick and tired of hearing about the latest scandal, child birth, wedding, divorce, or drug habit of celebrities in real time.

Take a minute to think about a solar flare knocking out satellites or disrupting the power grid in this country. Manufacturing would be down, we couldn't go to work, no TV, no internet, no heat, no fuel for cars, no food being replenished at the grocery store, no water coming from the tap. Life as we know it would be completely different. I would venture to say most Americans wouldn't know how to survive if they couldn't just go and purchase what they needed.

I am not a "prepper", but I have been thinking lately that we are heavily dependent on technology, which could be disrupted at any time. For that reason, I am going to have several firearms in popular calibers, continue to hone my hunting and fishing skills, and produce food in my garden. If worse comes to worse, I am still going to be able to feed and defend my family.

• Like 2

well we will all get to see what happens.

Buy it cheap stack it deep, Dec 12th will be winter time, so be prepared to stay warm if the power does go out.

I voted solar flare, because it's happened before, and NASA did issue a statement expecting some.

I hope nothing happens, if it does I won't be ready for it. But I will be more ready than anyone else around here,..whatever that's worth.

If the gubment comes along and makes everyone go to a safety camp for your own darn good, kiss all your prepper stuff and firearms goodby as you get on the bus, you might be able to bring your backpack once it has been looked through and if there is room.

There is some debate as to what mayan year it actually is now, within a year or 2.

While I'm not ruling out something happening on 12-21 I think the wheels are already in motion. All of the earthquakes and floods, tsunamis over the last year is a sign the earth is changing. Most people don't pay attention to these things but there sure seems to be happening more frequently.

While I'm not ruling out something happening on 12-21 I think the wheels are already in motion. All of the earthquakes and floods, tsunamis over the last year is a sign the earth is changing. Most people don't pay attention to these things but there sure seems to be happening more frequently. (sic)

Emphasis mine.

I totally agree. The various cataclysms over the last year are a sign that the Earth is changing, as were the cataclysms of the year before and the year before that, et cetera ad nauseum (or 4.5 billion times). The brief and rapidly intensifying glimpse humans have had into the nature of natural disasters may magnify the perceived severity or frequency, but, considering the recent seismic activity, there's little reason to believe that we are living in especially dangerous times.

It's possible that a super eruption or massive bolide impact or some other barely-imaginable horror will take place this year, but, if the only evidence for that specific of a timeframe is the Mayan calendar...well, that's not really evidence at all.

On average the super volcano under Yosemite has erupted every 500 million or thousand years. The last time it went off was 550(million/thousand) years ago. Does the fact that there seems to be more natural disasters mean something is going to happen? Not necessarily. But the Mayans were not predicting the end of times but the end of an period in time. It seems as every year that goes by the winter are less severe on average and the summers start earlier and last Longer. Not to mention that the poles are always moving and the have shifted enough in this time that airports have had to change the coordinates on their runways.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree with people that state that more weather and 'disasters' are happening in recent times.

We have a media conglomeration bent on delivering sensationalism with shock and carnage and when that isn't happening it is creating issues where nothing is happening... All the headlines like "Are your ___insert regular household item or consumable here___ dangerous and going to kill you? Find out more at 11:00." are to scare you into watch their fucking advertisements!

Regarding natural disasters, right now there are several tropical storms/hurricanes happening around the world (probably over vast ocean or 3rd world island countries that we don't know about as Americans). Every year, places like the South Pacific are flooded and deserts are dry. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands of earthquakes each day that are detectable by our equipment. Volcanoes and tectonic shifts happen all the time, but most are not damaging to civilization because they happen under the ocean or are small enough that we don't feel them. Mountains are evidence of these events happening, but they didn't happen overnight.

Our ability to monitor and track these items has been very minuscule in comparison to how long they have been happening. We didn't have global thermometers during the ice age and until the last 600 years, a large part of the world was unexplored/undiscovered by Western civilization and thought to be fucking flat.

It is our extreme hubris and ignorance that makes us believe that we can control the weather patterns and the natural processes of our planet.

Our world is constantly changing and when we build straw houses where it might get windy, it ends up as a huge disaster on the news when the house inevitably blows over & the news media is there to exploit the peoples' pain and suffering and mandate new government to prevent it from happening again!

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 3

Oh here are excerpts from an article I just read,..

RE: massive solar flare. "Modern day Carrington event".

It would be like Hurricane Katrina, but 10 times worse.

Severe magnetic storms could result in $2 Trillion dollars in damages

NSA report 2008: 90 seconds after 300 key transformers overload a melt down will surge and affect/cut power to 130 million americans

Europe, Russia, China and Japan will be simultaneously affected.

Water distribution affected within several hours

perishable foods, heating cooling,cell phone, everything based on electronics, internet and medicine lost 12 - 24 hours

taps run dry

subway down

How much gas you got?

computers fried, plugged in or not.

elevators stuck

airplanes fall, tumble down out of control

Hospitals cease functioning after 72 hours

sewer treatment shuts down

Natural gas outage

enough firewood for the winter will run out come spring.

no heat

no fire department

no police

no nuclear power

rampant crime

dwindling fuel supplies

Current thought that 2012 Dec 21st is the final day

Mayan prophecy indicates this is not a renew-all or purging, but the opposite

The window of practicality seems narrow for prevention/protective operations

Electric grid may be shut down with no warning

Maybe 17 hours and 40 minutes warning in advance

no one can escape

dec 21st 2012, perhaps the global onset of a dark catastrophe

the maya never predicted the end, but stressed the cyclical recurrent pattern of civilization rise and fall

Temporal event horizon separating our civilization from it's fate

The actual date of the events is in argument, but what is not, is NASA's warning about solar storm activity on the rise.

FWIW,.. seems legit IMHO

• Like 1

Personally, I think the MAIN thing that will happen on Dec 21 is, the Discovery and History channels will have to come up with something ELSE to run into the ground!Jeez, seems like every weekend is an "Apocalypse Marathon" on one of them, they've built more programming out of the Mayan calendar than anything in history.Of course, all this coverage will have some nutcases ready to snap (Heaven's Gate ring a bell?), so anything could happen out there, but not because of that calender They're doing their best to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. That being said, I plan o being extra prepared for what the crazies might do.

• 4 weeks later...

The Mayan calendar is based on astronomical alignments. Each epoch is the time between grand alignments. A grand alignment is when the sun,earth, moon, planets and the entire milky way are in a single plane. This will mean that at that time the tides will be larger than normal. This means that places like Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan etc. where the Earth is not stable will be slightly more likely to shake a bit. Places that flood at tides a bit above normal flood tide will more likely to flood. This is NOT an EOTWAWKI event. The effect is NOT that large. It is however a great way to mark time as it occurs at a regular interval.