I currently have all my ammo stored in my gun safe and the safe isn't huge. With the purchase of my latest guns, the 7.62 saiga and my ar15 plus 500 rounds of 7.62 and .223, my safe is way too full. I decided i need to figure out a new place to store my ammo. Id really like to just buy a giant safe, but im in a rental right now and don't see myself livign here very long. The safe i have now is hard enough to move, i dont' want one even heavier. The 2 options i have come up with are eithe a heavy duty plastic tote with a pad lock on it or a small safe. What do you guys do?

I have mine in .50 cal ammo cans outside next to my propane tank rigged up to a piano wire tac welded to the bottoms with the other end wire up to a couple of claymores.

Edited by fffpatriot
  • Like 2

I buried all mine in my neighbors back yard. :)

Actually it's all zip-locked, in military totes, in my attic until I find a better place for it. I want to be able to move it at a moments notice, but that shit is HEAVY!

My stuff is stored in the Boom Boom Room! As a deterrent to theft, I keep everything in a state of 'strategic disarray'. The place is so junked up that I can't find anything so thieves are going to have a worse time!

• Like 7

I sealed all of mine in vacuum bags with dessicant, then sealed THOSE inside several 12" PVC pipes and sunk them in the well out in the front yard... As long as nothing touches them... they should REMAIN sealed and dry inside... and who would think to look for BULLETS in a WELL?!!?!?! HAHAHAHA 032.giflaugh.png I think its the BEST place EVER to hide stuff... cause NO ONE knows where to look!!! LOL!!!

I kept 15 or 20 rounds on hand for JUST IN CASE... but the rest is underwater! 032.gif

000.gif

In regards to actual containers vs location. I stick with USGI ammo cans. Regardless where you stash them at your residence or elsewhere, they'll last a long time and keep a good seal. If you have room, add some desicant.

Here's an example of 7.62x39mm in a USGI 7.62 NATO can, exactly 480 boxed rounds.

IMG_20120507_184555.jpg

You just have to get a variety and try them out. (.50 Cal, SAW ammo, etc.). SAW cans are nice and roomy for loaded mags, drums, and such. I even use 40mm cans which are even bigger. Great thing is, they all are designed to be stacked so stack away!

• Like 1

I store mine in the fire resistant safe, in mags(empty mags are useless mags, lol). I used to keep them in plastic tool boxes in a corner, but then realized that Insurance Companies frown on "loose" ammo as many Fire Departments will let a house/rental complex burn if they learn of it. And that could leave me footing the bill for it.

I would go for a smaller fireproof safe. You can get another if you need it later.

I do store lots already loaded in mags or on stripper clips, still in USGI ammo cans. Small fireproof safe? I could fill up several with just one caliber, let alone fill up some big gunsafes. Keep it in ammo cans, you can stash it by any means, bury, throw in pond, etc. No need for a fireproof safe. Just don't smoke in bed. 000.gif

I would say but then the Govt trolls spying on this site would know where to look. shocked.gif

i invite anyone who wants to try to come cut into my safe to get at my guns, the few loaded mags that are in there, and all the black powder that's also stored in there haha.gif

Edited by Russian Hammer

• I keep some assorted ammo in my pockets, for imediate use
  • my pistol ammo is mixed in with the cat litter in the catbox.
  • I keep my 12 and 20 gauge alternated in the magazine of my 870
  • I stopped storing rimfore ammo in the babie's crib because of all my relatives whining about "choking hazards" so now it's in ziplocks in the fishtank

• Like 2

I would say but then the Govt trolls spying on this site would know where to look. shocked.gif

i invite anyone who wants to try to come cut into my safe to get at my guns, the few loaded mags that are in there, and all the black power that's also stored in there haha.gif

"and all the black power that's also stored in there"\

How do you store "black power" in a safe?

I've read that the south was a "resevoir of black power" and that "much of the black power originates in the ghetto", but those are pretty big areas....

Please answer, extra points if you can do it without sounding racist.

i invite anyone who wants to try to come cut into my safe to get at my guns, the few loaded mags that are in there, and all the black power that's also stored in there haha.gif

"and all the black power that's also stored in there"\

How do you store "black power" in a safe?

I've read that the south was a "resevoir of black power" and that "much of the black power originates in the ghetto", but those are pretty big areas....

Please answer, extra points if you can do it without sounding racist.

fuck... i don't know how well black power will work in my muzzleloader