• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't recall.......    

WATER……..a once free liquid that now costs more than gasoline, and in the not so distant future will be worth it's weight in gold.

Posted Images

Padrooga

said:

If you're liking the honey blends, try American Honey.  It's the best one I've had.  Honey whiskey blends are usually a bit sweet for me personally though.

I cracked open a bottle of Honey JD I had put away to compare against the Evan Williams.... they are pretty close. Good stuff, but you are right the sweetness will get to you after a while. Probably good that it works that way.   smile.png

It was the weirdest thing, but I found myself wanting a cigar while I was sipping the JD and I very rarely smoke cigars (and smoke nothing else). Something about the sweetness of the JD reminded me of sweet cigars I guess.

I'll look for the American Honey and give it a try, thanks.

Edited by Spartacus

Yep!  The brand is Wild Turkey.  I can see wanting a cigar while enjoying that~

Acquiring taste for things is pretty much about figuring out the difference between awful, pretty good and awesome.  A lot of it depends on your personal preference, but there are marked differences in quality that you can learn to pick out.  It's fun to research, even more fun to enjoy.  My aunt and uncle are trying to start up their own distillery around here, they want to produce vodka and whiskey.  I can't wait for that to get underway!

Edited by Padrooga
  • Like 2

Beer. Usually a lite lager... Bud Lite, Natties, Bud Select... When drinking for flavor I like Guinness Stout. Fave for flavor is Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Irish Car Bombs also kickass  wink.png

Whiskey. Jack Black or Jim Beam.

White Lightning,Apple Pie, etc.

Russian Vodkas... Stoli on the rocks. Wish I could get a full bottle of Kalashnikov in the wooden crate.

Lately been experimenting with wine making and doing pretty good so far. Got a few new batches happily fermenting away as we speak. Should be even better than the last. Found some fresh Scuppernong grapes to try this time. Love the wild Scuppernongs and Muscadines here in NC.

post-1293-0-12511200-1391406340_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-30291300-1391406364_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Back when I drank alcohol, good old Jack Daniels on the rocks; straight. Too much of it. Nowadays, strong black organic French Roast coffee in the A.M., then decaf Black Pe-coe iced tea with lemon and a little honey...again on the rocks. Nothing tastes better than a cool tall glass of iced tea, especially after a hard days work in the summer hardly working at all. My life has been a blessing, that is for sure. Now dry. HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png

• Like 2

Tequila for hard liquor. BTW Sauza is not really tequila, it's corn liquor or whatever. If it's say "MADE WITH AGAVE" means there's just enough agave in it to technically call it tequila. About 51%. The rest is corn liquor. Only real tequila is 100% Agave.

Anyway, for everyday I drink Tres Generations, El Jimador anejo. For weekend drinking I like Don Julio anejo, Don Julio 1942, Patron anejo, scorpion mescal anejo and a few others.

For beers. Summer time I like Belgian ales with a Champagne yeast or top naturally fermented like farmhouse ale/saeson. The beers have flavor and still refreshing for summer. Depending on the type even a good triple ale will go good on a hot summer day. For winter I stick to more Carmely style triples and quads.

Too many too list

Whoa, those look crazy...how long have you been doing that?

Not long actually just a few months. My first batch turned out awesome so I decided to buy more materials and make my own from now on. Goal was to duplicate our favorite Duplin wines from NC and pretty much nailed it the first time. Soon no more $8+ bottles of wine with dinner.

Buffalo Trace is the cheapest bourbon I will drink straight, so good call there.

Eagle rare is however much better.

Evan Williams Is dirt cheap, and not that good, but goes great for cooking and mixed in with the coffee. If I'm making my Bourbon Bacon in the morning, this is the one I reach for.

Neat, I like Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Basil Haydens, Jeffersons Rye, and Chivas Regal.

I'm currently trying a new one, JP Weisers Rye. Its good, but I'm not convinced its worth the money I paid.

I like Manhattans, Ideally they consist of 4 shots of James E. Pepper 1776 Rye, a 1/2 shot of Nolly Prat Sweet, and 1/2 shot dry Vermouth, and 2 dashes of angostura bitters, Shaken with ice. If I'm going cheap I get Jim Beam Rye.

If I got into wine and beer this would become a essay... Suffice to say I like my booze and have tried enough to have a discernible palate. Liquor bottles pile up enough that I've begun turning them into glasses as a hobby.

1398234_10201988006997608_1406802487_o.j

823440_10202098040868386_1890033427_o.jp

Currently this is my favorite, and I don't think that will change.

I found Blue Label to be a lot of hype. Gold is my favorite of the Walker brand. Green is the best if your a Peat fan.

Tequila for hard liquor. BTW Sauza is not really tequila, it's corn liquor or whatever. If it's say "MADE WITH AGAVE" means there's just enough agave in it to technically call it tequila. About 51%. The rest is corn liquor. Only real tequila is 100% Agave.

Anyway, for everyday I drink Tres Generations, El Jimador anejo. For weekend drinking I like Don Julio anejo, Don Julio 1942, Patron anejo, scorpion mescal anejo and a few others.

For beers. Summer time I like Belgian ales with a Champagne yeast or top naturally fermented like farmhouse ale/saeson. The beers have flavor and still refreshing for summer. Depending on the type even a good triple ale will go good on a hot summer day. For winter I stick to more Carmely style triples and quads.

Too many too list

Tried so many different brands and blends and Sauza was the one that I found actually tastes good.

Hard to find somewhat but thats ok, easier than 22LR ammo.

• Like 1

Buffalo Trace is the cheapest bourbon I will drink straight, so good call there.

Evan Williams Is dirt cheap, and not that good, but goes great for cooking and mixed in with the coffee. If I'm making my Bourbon Bacon in the morning, this is the one I reach for.

Neat, I like Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Basil Haydens, Jeffersons Rye, and Chivas Regal.

I'm currently trying a new one, JP Weisers Rye. Its good, but I'm not convinced its worth the money I paid.

I like Manhattans, Ideally they consist of 4 shots of James E. Pepper 1776 Rye, a 1/2 shot of Nolly Prat Sweet, and 1/2 shot dry Vermouth, and 2 dashes of angostura bitters, Shaken with ice. If I'm going cheap I get Jim Beam Rye.

If I got into wine and beer this would become a essay... Suffice to say I like my booze and have tried enough to have a discernible palate. Liquor bottles pile up enough that I've begun turning them into glasses as a hobby.

1398234_10201988006997608_1406802487_o.j

823440_10202098040868386_1890033427_o.jp

I found Blue Label to be a lot of hype. Gold is my favorite of the Walker brand. Green is the best if your a Peat fan.
It had the opposite effect on me, I found it to be the best tasting scotch I have tried. But I respect your difference in taste and opinion. And I like the gold and green, and even the platinum is very good. Give blue label another try sometime.
  • Like 1

I do a ton of Jameson on the rocks, Johnny Black or double black and Black Grouse. The Johnny and grouse are with whiskey stones.

For beer, Yuengling (lager, black and tan, porter, occasionally the lord chesterfield), Guiness (stout, extra stout, and lager), Peroni if i want something light. Every now and then i get to enjoy a good Penn, Duquesne, or 3,2,1, win.

Geographic location has an influence for me,

South Caribbean, it's rum, usually with coke and lime straight from the tree. Aniversario was about $3.00 USD per 750ml

Florida, close enough ^^

Kentucky , it's bourbon. Makers mark on rocks kinda grew on me.

Mexico, tequila....duh. Herradura reposado with lime bite = Mmmmm

Wisconsin, they got some good beer to go with the cheese curds.

Nevada, well what goes in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Kali, OK... I tried a sip of a white wine sthprithzer. Then it was back to vodka.

At home, usually vodka I like goose or hangar one.

All things in moderation.

• Like 1

Bourbon bacon?? What is this awesomeness?  Please share the recipe if you've got a good one.  This is how I like my bacon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy7biFRgGqc

Just kidding.  There would be so much lead in that...

I really have to try Eagle Rare then; I keep eying it in the store.  If it's that much better, I'm game.  Have to check out the last few you mentioned too.  I'm still kind of a n00b when it comes to bourbon, I just know I like it.  ^_^

Bourbon bacon?? What is this awesomeness?  Please share the recipe if you've got a good one.  This is how I like my bacon...

I really have to try Eagle Rare then; I keep eying it in the store.  If it's that much better, I'm game.  Have to check out the last few you mentioned too.  I'm still kind of a n00b when it comes to bourbon, I just know I like it.  happy.png

The saiga12 bacon thing was stupid. I hope he didn't really eat that shit. It was raw, and full of powder and lead residue. Dumbass.

It had the opposite effect on me, I found it to be the best tasting scotch I have tried. But I respect your difference in taste and opinion. And I like the gold and green, and even the platinum is very good. Give blue label another try sometime.

I've had it a few times. Not that I'm opposed to drinking it again, but I wouldn't go out seeking it at that price point again.

I thoroughly encourage everyone try something, and maybe try it again before developing their own opinion. In this case its been made easy for you. They have a sampler, that you can get your hands on for under $100 that allows one to sample the red, black, gold and blue.

johnniewalker_thecollection_the4btls__34

I really have to try Eagle Rare then; I keep eying it in the store.  If it's that much better, I'm game.  Have to check out the last few you mentioned too.  I'm still kind of a n00b when it comes to bourbon, I just know I like it.  happy.png

Simple, Thick cut hickory smoked bacon, smothered in cracked black pepper, and soaked in bourbon, pan fried with jalapeno slices. Give it a shot.

Also, I forgot to mention bulleit bourbon in my earlier post. I'm partial to high rye mash bill bourbons, or straight rye bourbons. So the bulleit Rye is preferred, but the straight bourbon is quite good also.

I did mention Jeffersons Rye earlier however. Thats currently my favorite for the price(on the higher end). Its been described as a knock-off of Whistlepig, but at $33-$38 its much easier to justify than Whistlepigs price point.

http://whiskeyobsessive.blogspot.com/2013/03/jeffersons-10-year-old-rye-whiskey.html

Back when i still drank liquor on the regular, it would be knob creek ice cold shots or mixed w sweet tea, jamesons and baileys to make irish carbombs with guinness, jack daniels, and johnny walker. Ive since settled moreso into home brewing; made an 8.4% double chocolate imperial stout that will set ya right. I do tend to save that for really good times, otherwise for me its hard to beat a straight up black n tan.

Jack Daniels and Jim beam are my standbys. Have half a bottle of american rare that I drink when. I have the fire pit going. Its very good. Russian standard isn't bad so I have a bottle of that too. I have a bottle of polish bison grass. Has a delicious flavor that mixes really well with store brand apple juice. Motets and other name brands tend to be watered down and don't taste as good mixed. Barenjager is the cycling shit when you have a cold or sore throat. Sweet sticky honey and grain alcohol goodness, also mixes well with beer.

It appeared to be Saddam Hussein's favorite as well. We "liberated" a ton of it from Victory Palace in Baghdad. I still have a bottle of it for special toasts.

1st preference is a drink bought by someone/anyone else.

I kind of have a fondness for a shot of Crown on ice with a beer back (Michelob).

Tequila (or sometimes vodka) with grapefruit juice is good on a hot day. (got to admit I tend to go cheap on tequila and vodka, I don't do shots of them anymore, for the good of all around me)

Bloody Mary's for that day after hair of the dog.

Margaritaville is always a good place to go.

And "the Dude abides"

have some times took a pull on a mason jar of stuff that was not bottled in bond. while it's not in some ways one of my favorites it does come under the category of bought by someone else.

oh yeah ever once a blue moon this stuff with a tiny dash of cranberry floating on top of it is good

post-26137-0-79184900-1391626358_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 4th Doctor
  • Like 1

Tried so many different brands and blends and Sauza was the one that I found actually tastes good.

Sauza is OK... BUT...have you tried the "margaritaville"? I was skeptical with that name, all I can think is some asinine Jimmy Buffet song... but it had great flavor for shots, and made excellent margaritas. Typically, all I drink is Monte Alban, which is mezcal, not a tequila.

Cool!  I'll have to fry up some bacon. 

Try baking it in the oven... cookie sheet with foil on it, set the oven to 400... put the bacon in one layer flat on the pan, on the top shelf... bake it till its a soft or crispy as you like it... doesn't shrivel like frying, and comes out WAAAAY better... This was a trick I was taught by a southern belle... :up: Trust me... you bake it right, just once, you will NEVER *FRY* it again!!!! And the bacon grease can be poured right of the edge easy peazy!!!  pull up the foil after cooking, ad you cookie sheet is ALMOST clean, as long as it didnt get greasy!! :up: :UP:

I would consider myself a TRUE beer SNOB.... BUT... with that said, for an EVERYDAY drinking casual brew... I TRULY RECOMMEND the NEW Miller Fortune dark lager. 6.9% ABV, and tastes great!!!!! at $11.50 a 12 pack at wally... you CANT go wrong....Its just YUMMY!!!!! :up:

Try baking it in the oven... cookie sheet with foil on it, set the oven to 400... put the bacon in one layer flat on the pan, on the top shelf... bake it till its a soft or crispy as you like it... doesn't shrivel like frying, and comes out WAAAAY better... This was a trick I was taught by a southern belle... 032.gif Trust me... you bake it right, just once, you will NEVER *FRY* it again!!!! And the bacon grease can be poured right of the edge easy peazy!!!  pull up the foil after cooking, ad you cookie sheet is ALMOST clean, as long as it didnt get greasy!! 032.gif032.gif

Alright, sounds good!  That's the only annoying part about cooking bacon: grease clean-up. 

I would consider myself a TRUE beer SNOB.... BUT... with that said, for an EVERYDAY drinking casual brew... I TRULY RECOMMEND the NEW Miller Fortune dark lager. 6.9% ABV, and tastes great!!!!! at $11.50 a 12 pack at wally... you CANT go wrong....Its just YUMMY!!!!! 032.gif

Sounds good, I'll have to pick-up some of that.

When I was young and stupid I was just fine with my piss water domestic beers.

Then a woman I met turned me on to real beer and I could never go back.

Always funny when I see people drinking one of those skunky brands and they

claim it's the best thing around. I never bought into that crap. Skunky is skunky.