rant..... Is basic range etiquette gone?

I got a 70 yr old loaded gun pointed at me yesterday at the public range (old German luger).

I kept hearing this weird metallic clang coming from down the line. I looked over and the dude has

a Sten. I have never seen one in person before, weird sounding contraption. then they pull out

a Luger. I guess Grandpa or uncle must be loaded and have quite the WWII collection or something.

They were young hince the bad range etiquette. My Dad or Grandpa would have flogged me for even

moving 45 deg off of downrange, let alone pointing a frigging loaded weapon down the line. He swept

everyone to his left, and kept standing pointing it. I instantly yelled at them. He just ignored my "MUZZLE!"

commands until the 3rd time. I have quite the set of pipes I know they heard me the 1st time. The people

next to him sure heard it.

Last trip I had been shooting the 45, decided to have some fun with the Saiga 308. I verbally warned them I was

going to open up and it would be LOUD, but They just ignored me. So I popped off 1 round to let them know I was serious about putting on hearing protection. The dude just gave me dirty looks the whole time he was getting his muffs out and putting them on. Who shows up at the range without them on anyway? Especially when someone tells you to put them on.

I have scared the crap out of 3 or 4 people now with that thing. It's a little funny but I seriously question

anyone who shoots without hearing protection. Even .22 is really pushing it. Now if it's suppressed that's

different, but in Iowa we don't get that choice.

This is a public range so we get the gamut of Masters down to pimps/hoes ( I am dead serious!). A pimp

was out there hoe bags in tow teaching them how to shoot a little 380. I couldn't stop laughing when they

got out of the Caddy!

Most of the time things go ok, but I have to keep my head on a swivel all the time. I have been muzzle swept

at least 6 times now. 2-3 times were known loaded condition 1. There are a bunch of hillbillies out dump firing

digging holes in the ground to completely over the top of the burm. Some asshat decided to shoot off 3lbs

of tannerite on the 50 yd range. We are talking real high class society. These are the people that give

the rest bad names. They leave trash, live ammo, don't clean up spent casings. Hell they even leave

spent targets up because they are too lazy to walk 50 yrds to pick them up.

I am not one to complain about NFA rules I am not going to go rat them out but if the Ranger or Sheriff ever decides to

show up they will have a field day. It is scary what shows up and some of that crap is homemade. Now one in Iowa can have Class 3 (well dealer excluded). People are out with SBRs / SBS(AOW)s, suppressors, the gamut.. I wish I had somewhere else to go shoot, but it is what us City folk have to deal with. One day one of those things is going to pop

and spread shrapnel and whack one of us.

If you have a decent private range or can go out in your backyard be happy!

• Like 2

I've only ever been to a nice, well staffed range on the other side of town in Jacksonville. I did look up ranges when I moved away though, and there is this one range in Tallahassee where I live now that is just mad ghetto.

Seriously, I'm talking about blood trails leading to the bathroom, people firing downrange on a cold line while people are setting up targets, sweeps, EVERYTHING.

http://www.tallahasseegunforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29949

This particular link is a good example, but go up one level and pretty much that entire sub-forum is composed of stories for that one range.

About 6 years ago I had a guy sweep me @ a public range.

After I said something HE FLIPPED OUT Like really vulgar and rude...

I went back to the jeep and set the armalite ar50 up right on the table next to him.

BLEW all his shit accept the guns on the ground ( and they shook) and jacked another in it.

As soon as that fucktard took off his ears and started yelling I pulled the trigger again.

Then I just asked him how would he feel is I swept him?

Put another 10 rounds out of the 50 every time he tried to shoot. packed it up went 3 lanes down and just started shooting the other stuff.

Fucktard never said a word to me after the second round of 50 BMG FMJ

OH and I normally wear my "second chance threat level IIa " to the public range. won't stop the rifles but better then nothing.

The other thing that disturbs me is all the skidded bullet holes in the tables.

I know they aren't there on purpose....

• Like 5

I fucking hate public ranges and those who charge a membership which are still public ranges for that reason, especially when the shooters are in control of the range safety! Gotta love going down range to change targets when people are finger fucking their weapons behind you as you do so. Running a military range at times depending on the shooters' aptitudes was a challenge as well even though there was some control. (Everyone is down range checking/changing targets at the same time). Muzzles were still fucking everywhere but down range at times even during timed qualification fire. I shoot on a private range on private property with experienced shooters, we have no issues.

Goddamn that sounds scary as all hell. I'm am lucky to have mass amounts of private land around and I can I chose who I shoot with wisely. And believe me I do.

The last way I want to die is from a a bullet I didn't deserve, from the gun of some careless asshat.

I have never stepped within a mile of a public range but have shot with some careless people. And never will again. I mean NEVER.

For five years I was a member of a range in B.C., NV that charged $50.00 a year. They had 8-10 100 yrd. bermed pits, a hugh area with shooting points set up between 100-1000yrds with iron dingers, 10-12 butt pits set up like in the military, multiple 25 yrd pits, skeet and trap area, and everything else inbetween. Yearly upon renewal, my membership card would have a four digit code on the back that was the enterance code for the locked gate. Sun up to sun down was the time for shooting axcess. The only time I ever saw a rangemaster was an ocassional class (SASS, long range sniper shoot, or the safety class you had to take to join the club. There were many times I went there and was the only guy around. This place was set on hundreds of acres in the desert. Got tons of brass from the place.

As time went on, I figured out why the membership was so cheap... THE WIND NEVER STOPPED BLOWING!!! And from every friggin' direction!!!

Was a gun shootin' paradise, except for the wind!!

I live in oregon and ther are plent of places to go where there are nn other people. but the other weekend shooting a car pulled up and asked if they could shoot too. so we said ok since we were almost done. this jackass goes and gets his pistol grip shottie out of the back of the car asn sweeps everyone. we all yelled at him. He said it is ok it's not loaded. Then wanted to ask us how to fix his barel shroud that would not stay put. and proceded to point it on our direction again. we all had a fiew choice words and just loaded up and left. I hate that shitt too.

There isn't a public range around here, just plenty of BLM land to go do your own thing on; which I almost always much prefer. If I see anyone else out there when I go shoot, it's pretty easy to stay out of one another's way. If I talk to em at all, it's because they came over to politely ask about some of what I'm shooting, (the S-12, S-308 and/or G20 firing full-power ammo tend to impress 'round here ;) ).

So the local shooting options are BLM land and a nicely set up private range, (excellent pistol course, trap/skeet area, rifle range etc), where T Haley's been holding some of his more recent classes.

I can only recall shooting at a public range, (in another state), one time. That was enough to cure me.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

I live in oregon and ther are plent of places to go where there are nn other people. but the other weekend shooting a car pulled up and asked if they could shoot too. so we said ok since we were almost done. this jackass goes and gets his pistol grip shottie out of the back of the car asn sweeps everyone. we all yelled at him. He said it is ok it's not loaded. Then wanted to ask us how to fix his barel shroud that would not stay put. and proceded to point it on our direction again. we all had a fiew choice words and just loaded up and left. I hate that shitt too.

Yeah... Might've let the first one pass. Second time, he'd've had my sidearm pointed center mass.

I guess Im the exception. Absolutely hate private ranges. Safety rules are fine but too many stupid ones.When its time to stop shooting you must unload your weapon, stick a yellow flag in the chamber and step back to the red line about 20 feet away. God help you if as you stand there your foot touches the line. So now you are no longer 20ft away but about 19.99ft away. That is treated the same as if you just shot someone. At the outdoor ranges you can only bench your rifle. At the indoor ranges no rapid fire or double taps. This would be ok if every range officer didnt interpret rapid fire in their own way. Some guys are cool and basically just dont want you trying to spray lead everywhere, these are the younger range officers. Most are older and some interpret rapid fire as anything faster then a muzzle loader. Then there's the wait for the ninjas who are sighting in their long range tactical rifles at about 50 feet and each ninja must take his turn trying to sight in the same rifle.

In the 5 years I've been going to public ranges I've never had an issue with anyone. People tend to be more polite and less childish when everyone is armed and official to watch over everyone like we're in grade school.

I'll take my chances and the public range and enjoy my hobby as opposed to dealing with range Nazis.

• Like 2

I use a public range here, but the rules are strictly enforced. The rangemaster is a Nam vet, and will dump you on your ass if you accost him. Not many of the "mall ninjas" hang around long. I had one last year who decided my Dirty Bird target was better than his regular paper target. I kept wondering why my Saiga was shooting high, and he happened to cook one off while I was watching. I pointed to the "NO CROSS-FIRING OF LANES!!!" rule, and he flipped me off. Rangemaster proceeded to chew him a new one, and banned him from the range. That alone makes the $3 I pay worth it.

If you are real polite and say, "Please", he will let you do a mag dump if the range isn't crowded.

For $100 a year I joined the local gun club 95% of the time I go and there is no one there but even when there are other people they always handle thier guns the right way. Some guy just got thrown out and banned for life for pointing a gun at another member so they take that shit seriously nonono.gif

Edited by pony_express1973

Yep I pay 120.00 a year for my private gun club, during the week you will usally only find 1 or 2 people at the most and it is usually the clarks shooting on their private range. But we have 8 ranges that go as far as 1000 yards.

I pay $50 per year and it is pretty safe and polite. Mag dumps....no problem. Full auto.....no problem. I would say it has been a safe place to shoot. Only maybe 3 times in many years have I had to point out a safety rule to someone. Never had a rifle or pistol cross over me though!!!

The Indian River County Range (FL) is great. There are rules enforced, but not onerous rules. Making sure you don't point a weapon at anyone at the range isn't much of a hardship. Pretty sure they wouldn't give many warnings before immediately revoking your range pass if anybody did that there. Staff very courteous. $9.25 and you can stay all day and move from handgun range, rifle range, archery etc.

I am the president at a local sportsmens club... I decided to finally jump in on THIS topic...

$20.00 a year. FULL ACCESS. No range officers. do what you want, but paper targets only. shoot anything you want... The members do a pretty good job of keeping each other in line... We have 45 acres of land. totally Private ranges... 100 yard rifle range, separate 75 foot pistol range. and a 50 yard archery range, and a 2 acre pond thats catch and release only. The folks on the range are ALL pretty good. almost NEVER an issue with safety or the like... we DO have the occasional NON MEMBER that sneaks in and shoots... they are asked to leave when discovered, and asked not to return. We actually have had the troopers pay them a visit in the past to get the point across that they are not to "trespass on private property ever again" when needed... 032.gif

Other than that... its an awesome range...

000.gif

I normally shoot at a buddy's place, he has a 100 yard shooting lane carved out of his heavily wooded 10+ acres with target boards set up at 21' for pistols, then 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards for rifles. Every once in a while I get the urge and he has things going on and won't be around, so I hit a local indoor range at Top Gun Shooting and Supplies. Not a long range so mostly pistols there or smaller caliber rifles. The upside is that the allow FULL AUTO firearms.

I seldom shoot at a public range, went a couple of times with friends just to check them out, had the same sort of problems with idiots. I love the AR guys, when they get all cocky I pull the Chinese T53 out and touch off a shot...everything goes quiet and I hear about 20 people ask "WTF WAS THAT???"

I think it's the fireball that gets their attention...

• Like 1

I have one outdoor and one indoor range w/in one hour from me. Safety is HUGE at both and I've never had an issue.

My best memory was emptying a 75 drum, from my sks, in so many seconds at the indoor. When I finished everybody was looking. :)

Use to go to Charlie Elliot WMA range here in GA. The past three times I have been there it has been a nightmare. Guys almost putting guns to people chests and crap. I did a drum dump and looked up to see some 18yo down range. I have never been so startled in my life. It use to be free now you need a WMA stamp. Not a Big deal. Now there is a no rapid fire or double taps though. What the hell do I have a saiga 12 for!!! Fricking DNR harassing me because my guns are black and Russian and I wear my hat backwards. Theyll sit there and breath down my neck making sure I dont pull the trigger too fast but wont do shit to improve the actual safety of the range.

Now I have no where to shoot and I have been depressed. I almost contemplated selling off all my guns and finding a new hobby. I just have no where to enjoy my thousand of dollars of toys any more.unhappy.gif

• Like 1

I've only ever been to a nice, well staffed range on the other side of town in Jacksonville. I did look up ranges when I moved away though, and there is this one range in Tallahassee where I live now that is just mad ghetto.

Seriously, I'm talking about blood trails leading to the bathroom, people firing downrange on a cold line while people are setting up targets, sweeps, EVERYTHING.

http://www.tallahass...ead.php?t=29949

This particular link is a good example, but go up one level and pretty much that entire sub-forum is composed of stories for that one range.

stacks, still in tally? our public range is a trip!. the objective is to get there early and leave before the rif raf shows. seriously, i have had a more comfortable trip with the dreads and gold teeth crowd than the frat boys. damn sure a wild west at times.

note the dividing wall

338512_2614741854169_1423754144_2919874_1195947660_o.jpg

2011-02-12_15-47-11_769.jpg

There was a rounds downrange article titled "ridiculous extremes: range safety is vital, but some of its enforcers go overboard" in the July 2011 of Guns&Ammo. The article was about range officers being more concerned about being jerks than ensuring safety while having common sense. I could not agree more with the author’s point of view (Richard Venola). In the October 2011 issue a jerk range officer wrote a letter to Venola expressing his disappointment that he didn't take range safety a seriously as himself and how Venola didn't understand the weight of responsibility being a range officer and "signing on the bottom line" like himself. Mr. Venola responded by informing him that he was a former president of Crescent Valley Sportsman’s Club and former member of the Board of Directors for the Los Angeles Adventures Club so he understood responsibility haha.gif , and that didn't understand barking across 5 lanes for someone to put their safety glasses on while he is unloading his range bag. Such overzealous rule enforcement doesn't keep people more safe but robs them of the joy of shooting.

• Like 1

The ranges around me are a little ridiculous for my taste. I understand "no rapid fire" I get it, whatever, but "4 seconds between each shot" is just stupid. If I get yelled at for shooting my bolt action M44 to fast, that is just stupid! I recently drove over an hour to a public range with no range officer on a wildlife management area. It was a much better atmosphere. Their were no idiots, and no one jumping down anyone’s thought about dumb stuff. The occasional idiot doesn't mean you have to treat everyone like one.

Just to vent a little more, I like to shoot standing off hand rapid fire, when I say rapid fire I just mean fire-get on target-fire (one to two seconds between shots), not spraying bullets everywhere or anything and I always get looks of distain from the picnic table snipers. I'm not talking about someone trying to sight in a new rifle and me just unloading throwing brass all over him. I'm talking about the guys that show up and set up their gun vice on the bench shoot 3 rounds and just sit there the rest of the day. What are you doing? I don't see how shooting from a gun vice on a bench can be fun, but whatever floats your boat, but don't look at me like I have seven heads for actually having fun.

• Like 1