Well, I had a scare yesterday & wound up spending 24hrs in the hospital for observation & testing.

Started off my Monday feeling fine, a few hours into my day & I was tired enough to take a 15min nap.

Normally I nap as needed & feel like a $1000.00 afterwards, not yesterday.

Two customers later I was exhausted, breathing hard, pressure in chest/head, light headed, numbness in right jaw & sweaty.

Customer told me I looked like shit, I felt like it & took heed.

I dropped my trailer & bobtailed to the Emergency Room at the Washington County Hospital in Chatom, AL.

They took quick notice, all the signs of a cardiac event, I was on a gurney in a minute.

Fast forward several hours, EKGs, monitors, various meds, blood work, xrays & ect, I'm feeling much better.

I just wanted to go home, see my Primary & Cardiologist.

But the Doc did not want to let me out of the hospital, not even to go straight to home & see my Docs.

He was very adamant, "Mr.Cox I belive you're at serious risk of a full blown Heart Attack, you've some irregularities on your EKGs, I want you here under observation."

I could leave of course, but I would have to sign an 'Against Medical Advice'  release waiver.

I could refuse to sign it, but they'd send it in to my insurance just the same.

Point is, my Insurance won't pay on a AMA discharge...  And my wife was standing with the Doc...  Lose/Lose.

24hrs later, IV, blood work, monitors & more... I'm finally back home & have appointments to see my Primary & Cardiac docs.

I'm glad I stayed, better safe than sorry.

Listen to your body, it will talk to ya.

I really think if I'd pushed it/or waited longer yesterday, I might not be here today.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 4
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I had a scare yesterday & wound up spending 24hrs in the hospital for observation & testing.   Started off my Monday feeling fine, a few hours into my day & I was tired enough to t

Might not be so bad if there wasn't so damn much pain involved  

Monday/Tuesday Thought I was gonna have, or was having a heart attack, went to ER. EKG, Xrays, cardiac enzyme blood tests, cardiac monitoring, nitro, aspirin and three or four other drugs 24 hour o

Wow Chile... take care of yourself man.

Very good call to go to the ER.

Just buried a buddy of mine last weekend.

Was honored to be a pall bearer for him.

Known him since high school, very funny and popular guy.

Huge wake with 60 of his close core group friends and family toasting him with a shot around his casket.

We kicked a big crowd out of the room to do the toast.

Three months younger than me (50) and colon cancer got him.

He joked about it to the end.

In addition to the sadness of losing a friend, it does remind me of my own mortality.

Best wishes for everybody dealing with health issues.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

Well, I had a scare yesterday & wound up spending 24hrs in the hospital for observation & testing.

Started off my Monday feeling fine, a few hours into my day & I was tired enough to take a 15min nap.

Normally I nap as needed & feel like a $1000.00 afterwards, not yesterday.

Two customers later I was exhausted, breathing hard, pressure in chest/head, light headed, numbness in right jaw & sweaty.

Customer told me I looked like shit, I felt like it & took heed.

I dropped my trailer & bobtailed to the Emergency Room at the Washington County Hospital in Chatom, AL.

They took quick notice, all the signs of a cardiac event, I was on a gurney in a minute.

Fast forward several hours, EKGs, monitors, various meds, blood work, xrays & ect, I'm feeling much better.

I just wanted to go home, see my Primary & Cardiologist.

But the Doc did not want to let me out of the hospital, not even to go straight to home & see my Docs.

He was very adamant, "Mr.Cox I belive you're at serious risk of a full blown Heart Attack, I want you here under observation." & "you've some irregularities on your EKGs."

I could leave of course, but I would have to sign an 'Against Medical Advice'  release waiver.

I could refuse to sign it, but they'd send it in to my insurance just the same.

Point is, my Insurance won't pay on a AMA discharge...  And my wife was standing with the Doc...  Lose/Lose.

24hrs later, IV, blood work, monitors & more... I'm finally back home & have appointments to see my Primary & Cardiac docs.

I'm glad I stayed, better safe than sorry.

Listen to your body, it will talk to ya.

I really think if I'd pushed it/or waited longer yesterday, I might not be here today.

Better safe then sorry indeed. In may I had a similar event. Had a weird feeling half the day. Got home in the evening and feeling tightness in my chest but brushed it off. Went to bed and became worried. Started feeling numbness in my shoulder but then I thought it was just a physcal symptom of me worring. Like a placibo effect. Anyway, it became harder to breath so I went to the ER. Instant EKG, Xray, blood work.... 3 hours later they released me and said there was nothing. I had nothing an most likely it was severe heartburn/acid reflux. After that I had moments when my chest would get heavy and tight so i went to see my doc and now im on prilosec and havnt felt anything since.

Glad it was just heartburn but had me worried

• Like 1

I'm glad you are OK. Reduce your salt, increase water intake and reduce or eliminate alcohol. Also, watch your cholesterol intake and increase your cardiac exercise to reduce weight (consult doctor first). I'm not a doctor only play one on the internet.

Be healthy and safe your family needs you above ground,

Yak

• Like 2

Take care of yourself Chile. You got a lot more fishing to do.

To hell with the fish, you got a family that needs you. Events like this remind me that my life isn't mine to waste, as it really belongs to all of those who love me.

damitman, take care of yer self sick.gif

• Like 1

I had two stents put in 4 years ago after a 100% blockage in right coronary artery. I never hurt in chest, but I felt like shit and belched constantly and hurt in upper back. When it felt funny in left arm and armpit I drove home from work and finally went to hospital later. BP was 190 over something. After I got out of hospital and on meds I changed diet as much as I could and lost 20 pounds, I thought I was in pretty good shape for 53, wife and I rode motorcycle in Smokies two weeks before. Should have left work in ambulance but didn't, don't take any chances.

Edited by Spikester
  • Like 1

A friend of mine was on vacation in Florida a few weeks ago. He was on his way to the beach and started feeling "not right". He ended up having a quadruple bypass that day. Yes, definitely listen to your body. Glad you are relatively OK, Chile, and I hope good news follows.

• Like 1

I was working in maintenance at a retirement community in Dec of 2006, Monday morning, a little after 7am. I was just getting on the elevator to pick up trash when the painter Steve came walking up the stairs from the ground floor to the first. He said "Gary, damn, I don't feel right". I said "go sit down and we'll call Vickie", (head nurse there) By the time I got back down he was having trouble breathing and Vickie was on her way. I made another round looking for someone else to help as that was the shift change. When I got back Vickie was doing CPR on him and the ambulance had been called. He died on the floor. Don't mean to be morbid, Chile, but the autopsy showed every artery clogged. He was lucky to have made it to work that day. I know now that you won't let that happen. His wife and daughter never got to say goodbye. He was a great guy and only 46. I think about him frequently since we always cut up at work. I don't know you from Adam except on this forum, but I still will be thinking about your close call and how similar it was to Steve's. Hang in there brother, you've got a lot of support here and there.

• Like 1

Better safe then sorry indeed. In may I had a similar event. Had a weird feeling half the day. Got home in the evening and feeling tightness in my chest but brushed it off. Went to bed and became worried. Started feeling numbness in my shoulder but then I thought it was just a physcal symptom of me worring. Like a placibo effect. Anyway, it became harder to breath so I went to the ER. Instant EKG, Xray, blood work.... 3 hours later they released me and said there was nothing. I had nothing an most likely it was severe heartburn/acid reflux. After that I had moments when my chest would get heavy and tight so i went to see my doc and now im on prilosec and havnt felt anything since.

I had similar, just chest pain/pressure about a decade back.

That was my first trip to a cardiologist, they thought they saw something in the stress test.

Did a Cath and thankfully found nothing.

Finally found the problem with a Upper GI tract exam, same thing, Acid Reflux.

About a year ago due to my high BP & starting BP meds, my Primary sent me for a complete stress test and echocardiogram.

Again given a clean bill of health on my heart/arteries, BP due to stress, diet & becoming a bit fat.

Well, I'm still stressed, love my sodas & energy drinks, don't always eat right and have a gut.

Time for another trip to the cardiologist & stress test.

And I have to dump the hyper sugar laden/caffeinated drinks, eat better & lose 50 pounds.

Thanks for the support guys... This kind'a crap definitely scares the beejeebus out of a person. horror.gif

Edited by ChileRelleno

I'm glad this one was just a wakeup.

I had a similar wakeup, removing tile in the kitchen with a scraper. I pushed and got a NAASTY pain in my chest that took my breath away, and I STAYED short of breath with chest pains.. Went to the Dr. Had a BUNCH iof tests.... $10,000.00 later, it turned out I separated one of my ribs at the sternum. Doc said "I'll bet that hurt like hell". Symptoms mimicked a heart attack.

Take care, bro. You only go around once.

• Like 1

Take care bro. At 5' 10" and a pretty solid 170 I thought I was in good shape-unfortunately I've been a diabetic for 25 years and at 47 I realized I was getting winded cutting the grass and walking up the lot to work. No other signs. I had a slow day at work so I cut out to the ER thinking I might have pneumonia, they monitored me and said everything was good. I told the Doc I was fine as long as I wasn't doing anything but if I ran around the hospital I could make it happen every time. Doc gave me advice to do a Cardio Cath and sure as shit, 99% blockage in my LAD. I told him to stent me on the spot. 8hrs later I was home, 2 days later back at work as a mechanic.  They went through my arm and used a compression device where they went in. Simple, easy, cost me about a grand out of pocket and surely saved my life.

If there's a few things I could get through to anyone reading it's this. Listen to your body-you know if something's not right, and then, do something about it. Get a doctor that listens and believes in tests.

I don't expect to live to 100, but living with heart disease is a hell of a lot easier than dealing with actual heart damage. Same applies to pretty much any health issue. For me it's about quality of life more than quantity. I made a few changes and feel better for it. Take care brothers and be there for your kids, family, and friends....I told the guys at work that one day they'll be telling "dead buddy Mark" stories one day, but with any luck, no time soon.

• Like 1

The ONLY good thing about chest pain is ZERO wait in the ER.  Automatic front o' the line.

Glad yer ok Chile.

Yep zero wait...  but then again, I was the only person in the ER at the time.

One nurse jokingly said, "Oh, so you're our patient today?", this is a very small town hospital.

I've seen how major cardiac units operate when my father was in one, I give this place a 8/10, they took good care of me.

I tell ya another that takes you to the head of the line.

Walk in with your hand over your eye, "I have a piece of glass sticking in my eye!"

They take vision pretty seriously too.

And that was a super busy, major hospital ER in San Diego, CA on a Halloween night.

• Like 2

Cardiac arrest can happen at any age, especially if your genetically predisposed for it. Just a year ago a friend of mine died from a major cardiac arrest at the age of 29.. he was average build, 5'10 180 lbs. Smoker, yes. But his father had died at 31 the same way. Apparently he was feeling like shit and talked his wife out of calling 911 till it was too late.  Good call be safe.  

• Like 1

Cardiac arrest can happen at any age, especially if your genetically predisposed for it. Just a year ago a friend of mine died from a major cardiac arrest at the age of 29.. he was average build, 5'10 180 lbs. Smoker, yes. But his father had died at 31 the same way. Apparently he was feeling like shit and talked his wife out of calling 911 till it was too late.  Good call be safe.  

Big time genetically screwed over here... Both sides of the family have histories for problems with the heart, cancer & diabetes.

Quiet evening and was getting ready for bed, when I laid down had an odd pressure in my chest and short of breath. Sat up for a bit and waited to see if it would pass. No such luck. Dressed and drove to the ER at a nearby hospital, walked up to the receiving desk and told the nurse "I may be having a heart problem, I don't feel so good". Sweating and short of breath, shaky and apparently a not so good shade of gray.

Needless to say, panic and mayhem commenced.

Ended up with IV's running wide open in both arms ( very low blood pressure ) and immediate admittance and testing. Turned out the aortic valve had calcified down to an opening the size of a small soda straw. Cardiac surgeon wanted to replace the valve right then but I had obligations I had to meet and surgery was two weeks later. One new carbon fiber valve replacement and five days later I was sitting at home pondering the whole adventure. On a side note, when they crack your chest a Vicodin prescription is a very, very good thing. I was in such a friendly and calm humor from it that the folks who knew me were concerned that something had gone quite wrong since I was not my usual irascible and curmudgeonly self.

I have a somewhat warped sense of humor and the surgery staff seemed to recognize it. The nurse that was prepping me for surgery looked up from putting in an IV and said "You know, we have to kill you for this, but you'll feel much better afterwards! Maaaybe it was the morphine kicking in but I was still chuckling over that when they wheeled me into surgery.

Chile, listen to the docs and don't take chances! I took stupid chances and could have checked out anytime.

Edited by The Deacon
  • Like 1

Had the same, except it came with dizzyness, and a weird pulse.  Prilosec 40mg for a while until side effects kicked in.  Have the docs check for an ulcer.  Whenever I get that feeling again I hit the hot pepper's.  Seems that capsasin kills H. pylori which is starting to show antibiotic resistance.

• Like 1

This getting old shit ain't for pussies is it?

Diet and exercise makes a difference.

At least that's what they tell me.

Take care of yourself old man, I got a feeling you would be missed.

Might not be so bad if there wasn't so damn much pain involved  shocked.gif

• Like 4