In what military branch did you serve?

In what branch did YOU serve? (American & Foreign))  

151 members have voted

1. 1. In what branch did YOU serve?

• Army
    • Navy
    • Marines
    • Air Force
    • Coast guard
    • Contractor such as Tripple Canopy or Blackwater
    • Civil Police
    • None

Joined Army Reserve at 17. Basic training during Junior year summer vacation at Ft. Benning. AIT after graduation in 88, again at Benning. Transferred to regular Army and stationed first at Ft. Lewis WA, then back to Benning, then down to Ft. Sherman, Panama.

I was with the 3rd Ranger Battalion of the 75th INF Regiment, Bravo Company... Back when they didn't give Black Berets to you for completing basic training. Don't get me started on that. :sadam:

During my time down South, some of us were utilized in the "War on Drugs". Working with different Federal agencies down there, the general idea was to impact the drug cartel business. Of course, the locals that worked for them didn't like that. I suppose it would be like going to Michigan and blowing up an auto plant. One of the main players was reported to have had a 3,000 member security force, but I don't know if that's true or not. Much of the conflict came to a head in December of 93. But I was already out of there by then.

While engaged in this conflict, I received a shotgun wound to my right palm. If you're interested, you can see a picture of it here. Not surprisingly, I was medically discharged after being placed on inactive reserve while I was getting fixed up. They saved the hand, but my dexterity with is quite limited now.

My reason for joining? Well, I had planned on being a "Lifer", serving 20 years and retiring when I was 38 (which was last year). Granted, with everything that's gone on in the last 20 years, I would have been involved with many conflicts, including both Gulf Wars and Somalia. Afghanistan too.

Anyway, that's my story, what there is of it. :rolleyes:

Sua Sponte! RLTW!

Corbin

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not here. Bad feet, bad eyesight, and can make more money / stay at home elsewhere. They've got my draft card if they need me.   Plus, I am not subordinate to anyone, and, from what I see of law en

My family has served in the armed forces of our countries for longer than I know. It is a tradition. My family has fought the Russians for hundreds of years in Poland, & the British in Ireland. A

If I may,   Something I learned as a Heathen, many years ago, and have occasionally chastised some of my more "Warrior Centric" kinsfolk about. Not that I'm chastising anyone here, just reminding m

Posted Images

I give the highest respect to those who serve our country. I've always been a big guy and never have fit into the physical fitness standards of the Armed Forces. Course if this economy keeps up I'll run low on food get thin and enlist :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Mom says I've done everything I ever said I would do as a small child, Dad says I always wanted to be a G.I. Joe(pre-Cobra, lol).

US Army - 5th Military Police Co./5th Inf. Div.(Mech) - '84-'86

Tested on ASVAB high enough to go Helio Crew Cheif(Warrent Officier) but took the E2 and a .45 on my hip :rolleyes: . And that was after blowing off the Math portion of the test and sleeping for 30mins. Got out an E4.

Volunteer Graham Co. AZ Sheriff's Search and Rescue - Tracker, EMT, Cave and Verticle Rescue, etc. - '87-'94

U.S. Forest Service - Trail/Inmate Crew Cheif/Fire Fighting - '92

Wanted to go Ranger/SF- CIA. Left Mititary with a preganant wife and transfer freeze of 3 more yrs at Ft. Polk, LA. Not a chance in hel.

Raised a baby girl(dumped the wife) and continued to serve locally. Miss the Military, but not the stupid shit/busy work. Now shoe ponies for a living and doing better all the time.

And yes the Black Beret thing was BS politics at its worst.

LRoDV,

Mikel

Army, 6 1/2 years, 1999-2006. Joined right after high school. I got to see the world and then some. It was mostly fun (Korea & Germany) but Iraq sucked. It's hot, dusty, and I found out that dead people smell really bad after a couple days in the sun. The flies are outrageously large too.

If you served, were you enlisted or commissioned?

Why did you join?

If you never served. WHY?

I served 2 years enlisted, deployed to Iraq once. Changed over to warrant officer to fly choppers and served 6 more years, deployed to Iraq twice. I have now been a PFC for almost 4 months (proud fucking civilian). Lovin' life! I joined because I wanted free flight lessons. This was pre-9/11. Had I not been in by then, I probably would've joined as an infantryman on 9/12.

Edited by shaneman153a

My whole family served execpt my pops who was a LEO. I had my first kid when I was 15yrs (oops) Then another and another. Not too long ago I tried to get in the Marines and they told me there must be a mistake as I was too old to join. :( Now I am 1/2 way through the LEO process.

• 4 months later...

My Dad was Army, heavy vehicle mechanic in the 40s.

My uncle crewed a B17.

Army 11 yrs. NCO. Honorably Discharged 1991.

29E 84F 26V, etc.

2 yrs stationed at Bragg without being at Bragg much, flying all over the place doing unfun things in hot sticky places.

2 yrs Germany

6 yrs Belgium assigned to NATO.

Now I've got a nice job doing pretty much the same thing, but for a LOT more money (plus, nobody shoots at me at work!)

BTDT

unfortunately i never did serve... was in the marine d.e.p. program when i was 17, went to springfield mass MEPS but sonn after i got a clean bill of health i had to go to the e.r. for a heart condition that no one knew about and it kept me for being able to enlist.

Enlisted, USAF AFSC 208X (glorified translator) w/SECRET clearance 91'-94.

Enlisted, USNR CE3. The Navy in its infinite wisdom decided with my MI and civilian healthcare experience that I'd make a good electrician. So I served with a SeaBees detachment in Indianapolis until I relocated to TX in '02. They let me out, but I'd go back in if I could make corpsman.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

Fire Department 5yrs then joined USMC, cracked both patellas and tore right meniscus after falling off tower being overzealous, sat on MCRD Parris Island for a small eternity till they decided I should go home until knees were healed, upon return was told any infantry/job that would have anything to do physical was out (AKA they gave me an option to join, go through boot AGAIN (oh fun) and then work in an office.....not why you join USMC), so back to the FD as well as doing private contracting for a few years. No FD anymore just the occasional security gig and training when it comes up. My knees have screwed me out of more jobs then I can tell you about, even though I think there just fine (you'd think it would be my choice if I wanted to be an idiot). Military service is a tradition in my family, I'm the first to drop the ball which sucks.

For all those who serve/have served you kick ass in my book, my door's always open and a free beer is awaiting you.

Air Force: 4 years Active Duty, 4 years Inactive Ready Reserve.

Civilian for 7 years

Army National Guard since 2007, do to finish contract next year.

Long break in service then came back in to do some good, it's not that I've forgotten how much of a pain cleaning an M16 is and decided I would rather own an AK myself. Hence I've come to Saiga.

Anyone else find it suspicious that there are more "mercenaries" on this forum than there are coast guard guys.......

Now now, we don't call them mercenaries anymore. We prefer to use the term "Contractors" these days.

It just sounds so much nicer. I like to picture those Blackwater guys (I'm sorry, they're called Xe now) over in Iraq refinishing kitchens and putting up moulding.

Accualy its been a rather popular trend latley. I know 3 people that served with me that joined independent security contractors after getting out. I considered it for a little myself.

Yeah me too, BW's pilots got to do some pretty wicked shit. Though if you weren't an ex-operator you were shunned by your peers. The only thing I couldn't get over is that if you go down, the US has no obligation to go get you. That, and I didn't want to go back, no matter what the pay.

Anyone else find it suspicious that there are more "mercenaries" on this forum than there are coast guard guys.......

Now now, we don't call them mercenaries anymore. We prefer to use the term "Contractors" these days.

It just sounds so much nicer. I like to picture those Blackwater guys (I'm sorry, they're called Xe now) over in Iraq refinishing kitchens and putting up moulding.

LOL...and building schools, wiring houses, hanging drywall...

• 1 year later...

USAF 1987-2008. Got paid to do things people pay good money to do. This is me at work, not what most envision when they think of the Chair Force. Edited to ask, "Does Army count for me as well since I went through more Army schools than AF schools". USAF Civil Service 2008-Present.

schne2.jpg

Edited by MT Predator

USMC 6 yrs. i was a 0311. i did shitty on the asvab so infantry or cook was all i qualified for. and i didnt want to cook. i miss getting my hands on assorted small arms. i tried to re-enlist a few years back but have way too many tattoos is what the recruiter told me. oh well.

United States Navy

1995-2009

Aviation Ordnanceman 1st Class (E-6)

USS NIMITZ CVN-68 NS Bremerton, WA 1995-1999

VAQ-132 NAS Whidbey Island, WA 1999-2004

MALS-24 MCBH Kaneohe Bay Hawaii 2004-2006

FRCNW NAS Whidbey Island, WA 2006-2007

NAS Whidbey Island, WA 2007-2009