I don't know where you are on the "northeast" YOT, but here in PA around where I live we have a glut of coyotes. A buddy shot a 41 pounder during deer season-pretty big as far as I've seen!

Some other buddies down in WV have a bit of a problem with coyotes too. Their dog went missing a few weeks ago, and is presumed consumed by coyotes. Needless to say, they've declared war on their local population. Want to go down and get a piece of that action with my Saiga!

Im no expert on coyotes but it seems like this one is playing. Watched about about half of the video. No growling or showing teeth. Kinda looks lookes like what my dog does when she want to play. Maybe its domesticated?

Looks like someone raised it from a pup..

Growing up my siblings would find small wildlife that had fallen out of nests and the like.. Ended up raising a couple dozen different creatures, but they would act like that.. Not totally domesticated, but they know you equal food so they come up.

DUMB

If that thing is domesticated there in good shape.

It's doing a little baiting though, notice how hot shot is so focused on filming he never swings the camera behind him to see if the rest of the pack is there. This is almost text book on how they take down deer here in MI.

• Like 2

YOT, that's an awesome video! That dog was a little too fearless for a wild animal for my taste, but man was it a good looking dog. Great footage.

bohound, that happened to our beagle when I was a kid. After the humans got done, coyotes were pretty much erradicated from our area. Oh, and HOLY $HIT @ the 41lb coyote!!! The ones around here that I've seen have been around the 20-25lb mark..

csspecs, that's exactly what I was thinking. Some human has fed this pup before.

cool video. i was also expecting one or four to come up from behind him at any moment. in our hunting area they are so over populated. they ate a friends deer to the bone within two hours of a shot. My friend didn't make the best shot and was going to wait a bit for it to die and go collect it then. when my friend went back to check her deer, it was already around 30 - 40% gone. Within 24 hours, there wasnt even bone to be found. Was a shame she had to waste a tag on it but thats what you have to do. Needless to say, I think the Saiga 223 will be coming in handy this year.

This is almost text book on how they take down deer here in MI.

That was my initial thought too. Then reading the rest of the thread, I saw that I wasn't alone in that observation.

It DID act a little too comfortable with humans though. As well fed as he appeared to be, I suspect humans have fed him at some point. Good looking coat on him.

As interesting as coyotes are. Man this guy really isnt doin him or the public any good taunting it. If that thing really was hell bent on getting him, it would have ripped his throat out in 2 seconds. Taunting it is not setting an example.

Is is a very impressive and beautiful animal though.

• Like 1

there was a 3 yr old drug off buy a pack bout a year ago, where my parents live. they are ballsey when theyre hungry.

might be a good time to go try out that new hevi shot ammo. what was it called? dead somthing or other....

I think there in Canada A.

What are you talking aboat?

:lolol:

As interesting as coyotes are. Man this guy really isnt doin him or the public any good taunting it. If that thing really was hell bent on getting him, it would have ripped his throat out in 2 seconds. Taunting it is not setting an example.

Is is a very impressive and beautiful animal though.

Agree on both parts.

No way in hell I'd sit on the ground, at face level with a coyote, and mess with it. From what I've been told, 1 coyote isn't a huge problem to deal with......but when you add in a few more, their small size and "Meh, they're not a big deal" mentality goes right the fuck out the window, and you're in some shit.

I had some relatives in the boonies up in NY that I brought my x39 Saiga and a couple AR's to their place to shoot for fun. Said some coyotes had taken some of their chickens, and that if we happened to see any 'yotes, to take them out. I hoped and hoped to see one that day, but we never did.

Indeed a good looking animal, though. The few I saw in the wild up in NY were all very scrawny looking.

+1 with Yarp. That looked like hunting to me. Yotes dont want to be around humans and usually run from them. Might have been rabid but it looked in good health. I would have shot it just in case.

And you would have shot it for no good reason. This was obviously a "local yokel" coyote who's behavior this man is very familiar with. The coyote is also accustomed to contact with humans and is probably fed all kinds of goodies by them which is what he's trying to playfully coax this guy into doing. The man even acknowledges what the animal is after by saying he "has no food". This kind of wary acceptance between coyotes and humans is not at all uncommon in remote areas and it's usually by a loner type who is not currently bonded with a pack. This is not traditional "hunting" behavior at all. I rather enjoyed this video, though.

Coyotes are varmint nuisances, and are classified that way by the US government. Seeing one is a good reason to shoot it.

Considering the damage they do to domesticated dogs, Dogman, I'd figure you'd be for it.

Because we all know what the US government says is good as gold. :rolleyes:

+1 SuperA

While in some places they might be a nuisance. They are not all the same nationwide. I bet if you killed all the coyotes off y'all would be complaining about the vermint problems. :lolol:

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 2

Coyotes are varmint nuisances, and are classified that way by the US government. Seeing one is a good reason to shoot it.

Considering the damage they do to domesticated dogs, Dogman, I'd figure you'd be for it.

I don't need the US government to tell me what a nuisance is to me. In fact, I classify the US Government as a nuisance. Yes, there are people who let their dogs run wild and those dogs will be prey to all kinds of things, mostly car bumpers. I have coyotes all around here and they have never been a nuisance in over 20 years. There have been more domestic dogs attacked by other domestic dogs than any attacked by coyotes, if any. Sure it can happen, but I take reasonable precautions and don't worry about it. I love hearing them and having them around. Shooting one just because I saw it would never even occur to me. I don't understand that mentality.

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 3

Beautiful coat on that coyote. We have a lot of them down here, but I've never seen one as well-fed as that one. He never bared his teeth, or growled; so as previously mentioned I'm not too sure he was really attacking. Seemed more like semi-playful intimidation.

Starting to see more of them in the urban areas around here. I live in the heart of South Arlington, and saw one running up the median of the busy street in front of my home while enjoying my coffee last Sunday morning. Cool shit.

Edited by Kevin in Texas
  • Like 1

We have a bunch of them all over Portland's outskirts.

There's small forests all over Portland, & the more affluent people who live around the areas lose pets quite often.

I was driving & saw a "stray dog" or so I thought, so I stop my car to try to gather him & noticed he wasn't a stray. He was his own dog. He was skittish & had absolutely no desire for human interaction of any kind. He just wanted to use the sidewalk.

He went on his way, as did I.

I don't know... I'll let someone else go after them.

I'm not really big on shooting dogs.

ETA;

Not to mention, no shooting in portland without a trip to jail...

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

I class coyotes in same class as armadillos, hogs, raccoons, and opossums.

Now, I know everyone here is "their own man" and has that chest-thumping, "I don't need

the government to tell me shit" attitude that passes for machismo these days, but there's

a reason there are usually not seasons on these animals, and there are on turkeys, deer,

dove, duck, rabbit, etc.

When one factors in the breeding rates of most nuisance animals, you can see that, even if

everyone were to shoot them on sight, the population would still grow. Also factor in what

they do to turkey nests, crops, people's pets, and garbage containers, and you'll see that

there is a very good reason to shoot coyotes and other varmints on sight.

Now, please understand, I'm not trying to tell people what to do, or what to think. If you

don't want to shoot a coyote, that's cool. However, don't go saying that I shoot them for

no good reason, because that is not true at all. I shoot them for many good reasons, as

outlined above.

Carry on.

• Like 1