Where can I practice tactical stuff?

Like Nutnfancy, running and gunning, go all tactical.

Can we just get a small games hunting license, erect some steel target in any hunting ground and do it? Any law preventing us doing this?

BTW, I'm in Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTrlcKfT790&feature=relmfu

now sure if steel targets can hold off a slug from S-12 though, or if it will ricochet.

Can we just get a small games hunting license, erect some steel target in any hunting ground and do it? Any law preventing us doing this?

BTW, I'm in Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTrlcKfT790&feature=relmfu

now sure if steel targets can hold off a slug from S-12 though, or if it will ricochet.

We go nuts in the woods on our farm in MI...great berm and lotsa steel...couple make shift shacks...

Look at www.uspsa.org, (etc) and the competition forum. Most all clubs will work with beginners as long as you follow their safety rules. Or take a tactical shotgun course.

The other thing to remember is that a lot of the people who do this in videos you can find have been doing this a long time, have had professional training and have fired tens of thousands of rounds in practice. The fact that they can do something, do it fast, and make it look easy doesn't necessarily mean that the average shooter can do it at all, much less do it safely.

Maintain muzzle awareness at all times and don't do things that don't seem safe. Accidents with pistols are bad enough, accidents with shotguns are usually going to start with BAD and get worse from there.

Edited by KevinInNM

One of the reasons I don't like actual "ranges" are because the ones local to me are more geared toward the plinking/Fudd crowd. That's cool, but it doesn't make for the easiest place to practice tactical style drills. We do have IPSC style stuff but again it can still be too limiting.

In my case, I found that he best way to practice practical tactical is to find a nice patch of public land that is safe and apropriate.

There is a great spot about 40 minutes from my home that folks have been shooting at for years that is perfect for being able to shoot free of range rules. I suggest scoping out your city/area for places like that - but becareful to make sure its public land.

Good luck!

ETA: not sure what the laws are like in your state... be sure to follow them though. :)

Edited by CFOofEVIL

One of the reasons I don't like actual "ranges" are because the ones local to me are more geared toward the plinking/Fudd crowd. That's cool, but it doesn't make for the easiest place to practice tactical style drills. We do have IPSC style stuff but again it can still be too limiting.

Indoor public ranges are kind of scary and annoying The people who run them are typically control freaks, but it's because they see a lot of stupid people with guns. So you have lots of limitations to try to keep the idiots from shooting someone or shooting holes in the roof, etc.

I joined a gun club when I moved out the NM. It's about 45 minutes, but it's pretty much always possible to find an empty IPSC/action/CAS pistol pit, mostly they are all empty except on Saturday/Sunday morning when they run formal matches.

The fudds stay on the regular rifle or pistol range, I can do short range rifle, pistol or shotgun stuff without people pestering me. They plan to put in some sort of tactical shotgun range, but I'm not sure what exactly this will be. They have a rather huge sporting clays complex, I really should try sporting clays with a Saiga. ...

It's a good idea to start off with idpa since things are a little slower paced. Start off slow and place your shots, once you get into a good rhythm and hit the targets then the speed will come naturally.. "slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

I don't necessarily think that aspiring to be like Nutnfancy is a good thing but at least he's had some formal military training. I think most people doing this on their own out in the backwoods probably learn just enough to be a danger to themselves and others. I agree with the others, join the army or at least go to one of those structured academies.

Edited by DogMan

In your back yard

hey, that doesnt sound very safe!!

lol

Prob not.. unless you have lots of acreage. lol

But, like everybody said.. some classes or some competition work.

And actually, depending on your level you can gain a lot of skill just practicing unloaded without ever firing a round. For utmost safety.. you can even take your bolt out and keep safety in mind at all times. Work around your house doing mag changes.. shouldering from a sling carry position.. moving.. weak/strong side transitions... clearing malfunctions... etc... putting the gun on a target and working on your breathing and keeping it steady.

I just wouldn't advise doing that outside in an urban/suburban neighborhood.. might freak out the neighbors.

Go to your local appleseed shoot its not taticool but it will teach you all the fundamentals which most people that have weapons don't even know. They will teach you different shooting positions you'll be there with kids and stuff don't let that get your pride down its a cheap class. i think there normally 75 bucks and you bring a thousand rounds or something like that to train with. Theirs no magic school although they are nice, that will make you tactical. Practice and knowing the fundamentals will make you tactical. Look for a friend that shoots and is a police officer or an old combat vet to help you out. HAHA knock out a thousand dime washer drills on your weapon of choice i did it in basic training and still do it before i go to the range to qualify.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/ this is a good as any taticool school out there and its a non profit organization i highly recomend you check it out

here is a cool appleseed shoot in nm video

That Appleseed project is just wonderful! Thank you for pointing it out!

In your back yard

hey, that doesnt sound very safe!!

lol

Prob not.. unless you have lots of acreage. lol

But, like everybody said.. some classes or some competition work.

And actually, depending on your level you can gain a lot of skill just practicing unloaded without ever firing a round. For utmost safety.. you can even take your bolt out and keep safety in mind at all times. Work around your house doing mag changes.. shouldering from a sling carry position.. moving.. weak/strong side transitions... clearing malfunctions... etc... putting the gun on a target and working on your breathing and keeping it steady.

I just wouldn't advise doing that outside in an urban/suburban neighborhood.. might freak out the neighbors.

Taking the bolt out... Good point. Now I don't need to worry about the firing pin.

BTW, I'm in Michigan.

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

Where in MI are you? www.mi3gun.com is a fun 3 gun series. Sign up for the intro if you care to "try your hand."

Edited by rjrivero

No matter how much you know, or think you know, for most of us it is best to refresh our knowledge from time to time.

1) A good'ol firearms safety/range etiquette course.

2) CMP & Appleseed are amongst the best civilian firearm safety and marksmanship programs.

Been there, done that & have the t-shirts. Doing another Appleseed end of April.

3) A good entry level Rifle or Shotgun class, then progress through intermediate & advanced classes.

Intermediate and advanced courses will cover tactical skills/handling.

Once again, been there, done that & have the t-shirts for entry-intermediate.

4) Competition in various practical/combat styled matches.

I've shot in a couple CMP rifle matches and did pretty good, nothing to brag on, but pretty good.

5) Join the Army/Marines, you'll learn how to conduct combat operations on small to large scale.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

If you're in Michigan... I am as well... the best place to learn to run and gun is http://www.actshooters.com/

We run every first Sat of every month... rain, snow, or other. It's designed around carbine and sidearm, and some guys run with a ton of gear, but most of the guys who do it for a while learn what to carry, and what to dump. We have gear to loan and maybe even a couple of spare guns if you don't have a carbine and sidearm. It's a great bunch of guys, and a good mix of people. Lots of cops, operators and normal folks. Attitudes don't last long, and "Big Boy Rules" apply. No race guns, no race holsters, and comps that deafen the RO are frowned upon. We can usually scare up some extra gear and guns for you if you are short. (Paying for your ammo and entry fees of course. It's totally free to watch.)

You will learn more there by seeing what others use, than you will from online videos. It is easily adapted to any firearm you choose to run.

Read the material on the site, and see if it looks like something you may be interested in. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I can also point you toward good trainers and classes in the area that won't break the bank.

Heath

PS... Hold off on buying any "Gear" until you see what people really run, and what you like. Alot of guys became gear-whores when they started out, and would love to unload stuff they have and don't use.

• Like 2

No matter how much you know, or think you know, for most of us it is best to refresh our knowledge from time to time.

1) A good'ol firearms safety/range etiquette course.

2) CMP & Appleseed are amongst the best civilian firearm safety and marksmanship programs.

Been there, done that & have the t-shirts. Doing another Appleseed end of April.

3) A good entry level Rifle or Shotgun class, then progress through intermediate & advanced classes.

Intermediate and advanced courses will cover tactical skills/handling.

Once again, been there, done that & have the t-shirts for entry-intermediate.

4) Competition in various practical/combat styled matches.

I've shot in a couple CMP rifle matches and did pretty good, nothing to brag on, but pretty good.

5) Join the Army/Marines, you'll learn how to conduct combat operations on small to large scale.

Very good points! Thank you. Already signed up for the 7/2 appleseed.

If you're in Michigan... I am as well... the best place to learn to run and gun is http://www.actshooters.com/

We run every first Sat of every month... rain, snow, or other. It's designed around carbine and sidearm, and some guys run with a ton of gear, but most of the guys who do it for a while learn what to carry, and what to dump. We have gear to loan and maybe even a couple of spare guns if you don't have a carbine and sidearm. It's a great bunch of guys, and a good mix of people. Lots of cops, operators and normal folks. Attitudes don't last long, and "Big Boy Rules" apply. No race guns, no race holsters, and comps that deafen the RO are frowned upon. We can usually scare up some extra gear and guns for you if you are short. (Paying for your ammo and entry fees of course. It's totally free to watch.)

You will learn more there by seeing what others use, than you will from online videos. It is easily adapted to any firearm you choose to run.

Read the material on the site, and see if it looks like something you may be interested in. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I can also point you toward good trainers and classes in the area that won't break the bank.

Heath

PS... Hold off on buying any "Gear" until you see what people really run, and what you like. Alot of guys became gear-whores when they started out, and would love to unload stuff they have and don't use.

This is awesome! Will definitely check this out. Thank you! I'll go to the one near Lansing.

• 2 months later...

Heath

Heath do you know if this club is expanding to anywhere else, like in the southwest or is there any talk of it????

I'm sorry I missed this for so long...

Yes there is a chapter in Arizona as well.

Here is a safety tip if still injterested and havent gotten too involved yet. Get some people you plan to "train" with, get some paintball guns, and run scenarios. Begin slow with teh crawl, walk, run motto in mind and then progress to more "advanced" techniques. This is how we operated in the Army for alot of training and it is real life in the sense that if you shoot your buddy he will have the mark to show and you can see what you did wrong. A camcorder is always a plus to have. Real life is completely different form training no matter how you prepare for it and most range instructor speak only form class room experience, so if you can find a range where there is true combat/LEO experience it is a plus. Not that range experience is bad, but real life trumps make believe any day IMHO.